Chapter 18: The Stag and the Lion

—The Riverlands—

Riverrun...

Loreon did not languish in the cells alone for too long. Several other ranking and highborn officers who had been captured were shoved into the damp dungeons beneath Riverrun as well. Common soldiers among the enemy were forced to surrender their arms and were placed in hastily constructed stockades. Those who were heavily wounded were taken to get treatment, as Samson insisted that the articles of war be followed to the letter. He would not give truth to the rumors that the rebels were not but a bunch of thugs and ruffians.

Still, despite the number of captives that had been taken prisoner, many more had escaped. Scouts and riders reported that the remnants of Loreon's army were marching back to the loyalist-held territory at full speed. Many had wanted to pursue and wipe them out before they could regroup. However, that had been overruled. Though they had won a great victory here, the war was far from over. And their southern and western borders were still not completely secure. The bodies on the battlefield were being collected, sorted, and identified.

Gawain had been permitted to go out with his men to collect members of their unit. Of the twelve captains that had joined Gawain in his plot, only eight remained. Algar Wagstaff, Landen Yelshire, Graham Middlebury, and Kelton Herston had died during the ensuing chaos when the revolt started. He would write letters to their families and see that they got a proper burial. These men had been his friends and had given their lives to help him with his desire for revenge against Argilac and his cronies. His distaste for Argilac's rule had begun when the tyrant had disbanded parliament. Gawain had counted certain members of Parliament as friends and companions, including the niece of Lord Blackwood, whom in his youth Gawain had felt attraction.

The dissolution of parliament had been one of the examples he used when he urged his father to raise the banner of Prince Daemon over Redmont. He had been certain that had his father sided with the rebels that other storm lords would have followed suit. But Elyan 'Ironside' Thayne would not be moved. Though he thought of Argilac as a despot, he was still the lawful king of the realm. He refused to betray his oath of loyalty and would not tolerate any talk of treason against the King. But now he was dead and the burden of deciding the fate of House Thayne fell on Gawain, assuming he was able to keep his head here among the rebels.

He had been summoned to the great hall of Riverrun shortly after sunset, the guards outside the doors had told him that he could not enter armed. After a moment that Gawain had purposely made tense, he surrendered his pistol and sword. Inside the great hall, he found only Prince Daemon, sitting on a chair placed next to the high seat of Riverrun, with Samson standing next to him.

Following a protocol that had been drilled into him since birth, Gawain saluted Samson "General," he then bent the knee to Daemon "Your Highness." As he rose, he folded his arms behind his back. "Normally, I would introduce myself but... I am a little confused as to what I am currently. My lordship is in land held by the enemy and my rank was with an army that I fought against today. I suppose I am still technically a knight though, so... Ser Gawain Thayne, at your service."

"Thayne?" Daemon tilted his head in confusion before it dawned on him. "Ah! House Thayne of Redmont. I see. Well, at least there are a few who haven't spat on me already."

"Why should we allow such a man whose family served the tyrant Argilac for years?" Petyr inquired. "Yet only NOW do they decide enough is enough. How convenient. How little honor is valued these days."

"Arlī hen!" Daemon quirked in High Valyrian.

"What did you say?" Petyr questioned.

"That's enough! Both of you," Samson interested firmly. "Major, we've been through this already," he said to Petyr. "And you," he turned to Daemon. "You need to not let your emotions get the better of you again. It is unbecoming."