𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯.

I came back towards the sitting room where my two friends were once I changed back to my regular clothing. I walked towards Enola and Violet, wondering where Tewkesbury had gone. "He's left," Violet spoke up, reading my facial expression. "We couldn't risk him being here."

"[Y/N], tell me you won't see him again today," Enola pleaded. "It's far too dangerous, especially with Wyatt sending people-" I interrupted Enola.

"My brother is not here. He will not find out what happened." I tried reassuring her. "Edwards may be here but that doesn't mean she saw him with me." I said confidently. But I wasn't confident, I was scared that she had seen me with Tewkesbury. We walked towards the front and were bidding our goodbyes to Elise when Melanie was talking out loud.

"Miss Elise, why would you waste your precious time on whores like Miss Alderidge?" Melanie asked Elise. "These people don't care about others and will spend money recklessly, so why on God's name would you spend your time with her?"

"And just who do you think you are?" Enola was about the start going off on her but Elise butted in to prevent her from saying anything. I also held Enola's arm as a sign to stand down.

Melanie was pathetic and we didn't need to waste our breath on people like her. People who are hypocrites that is. I would never marry someone for their money, let alone leave my partner for someone else.

"I appreciate your concern Miss Edwards," Elise spoke up, "but the Alderidge's have been my most loyal customers for some time now. I also prefer young ladies who know how to handle their tongue and never gossip."

"Thank you, Elise." I smiled slightly. "But do not fear, we all know a proper lady when we see one. Nonetheless, I appreciate everything you've done today Elise," I said hugging her. "I shall see you soon." And with that Violet, Enola, and I walked out of the store.

"How can you let her speak to you like that?" Violet asked.

"In the end, Tewkesbury chose me, not her. Whatever she says, it shows her true character and it doesn't bother me because he loves me."

"YOU!" We heard someone scream from behind us. To no surprise, it was Tewkesbury's past lover.

"Miss Edwards. What could I do for you?" I asked, faking a polite smile.

"How come everyone loves you? You and your family would be nothing if it weren't for your money." She yelled.

"You are the most perfect girl that any bachelor could persue, and yet you push them all away?" I couldn't tell if I was being insulted or complimented from her. I noticed people started looking, however.

"You get to sit at home and do whatever you want, but I have to ensure that my family gets paid and marry some daft idiot and be enslaved to him. And complain about marrying Mateo Lohengrin. You and your family vex everyone for being so perfect. But you and your family are just as pathetic as any noble."

"I don't know what you want from me," I advised her. "I've warned you many times, that I have nothing for you."

"I told you, I want Tewkesbury back. You think you could court Mateo and still have a relationship with Tewkesbury? I know everything about your secret rendezvous' with the Basilwether heir." I heard gasps all around us.

"Please stop," I begged her. The last thing I needed was a scandal going around and my brother finding out that people found out.

"I have eyes everywhere. I am so sick and tired of you getting in my way."

"Melanie, I don't even know you well-"

"I don't care! But you are not as precious as you think you are." She stopped, her face turning red from anger for continuing. "She is not precious as you all think she is, she is a harlot!"