𝐱𝐯𝐢.

Enola's POV

Mateo Lohengrin.

How to describe him? He's not bad looking, nor is he a bad suitor. But he is not what [n/n] is looking for in a man. I know her better than anyone else does. I know I was critical of Tewkesbury, but I had the right reason too.

I was not going to allow him to hurt [n/n].

"Mr. Lohengrin," I gave him a fake pleasant smile. "What can I do for you?" I asked, closing the door of [Y/N]'s room behind me.

"You can call me Mateo, any friend of [Y/N] is my friend," That does not mean anyone wants to be your friend. I slightly pursed my lips and nodded, not wanting to call him by his first name.

"Right," He cleared his throat. "I do have a question." He declared. This better not be anything that involves me. I don't want to get courted. Besides, we all know he fancies [n/n].

"Go ahead."

"How does [Y/N] feel about me?" He asked all of the sudden. What?

"Uh..." I was about to start when he interrupted me.

"And I want you to be completely honest." He added. I shuffled, slightly uncomfortable. I didn't want to say anything that [Y/N] didn't approve of.

"I can only speak on my behalf, but [Y/N] doesn't mention you frequently." I somewhat lied. "I cannot say what she does think about you, but she has said good things about you," A lie. "But she is not ready for marriage. Not to you, or anyone for that manner." I acknowledged.

While I did lie, I mostly remained truthful. I was telling him what I thought. If he truly wanted to know what were [Y/N]'s thoughts right now, he should have asked her.

"If I were to advise you," I spoke up. "I would probably give her some space for a bit. She's still trying to figure things out." I should not have left the last part slip.

"Figure what out?" He asked, somewhat snappily.

"Nothing that should concern you." I raised my voice a little at his sudden tone.

"I'm her friend." He explained, crossing his arms.

"And only a friend." I snapped at him quickly. I closed my mouth. He looked at me in disbelief. I didn't mean to say that out loud, especially not in front of him. "I am sure you are a lovely person Mr. Lohengrin-"

"You don't know what it's like to love someone who sees you as a friend." Mateo looked down, not meeting my eyes.

"You're right," I said. "I don't. Nor do I care. I feel no remorse for you, Mr. Lohengrin. [Y/N] does try. To love you, I mean. But no one can control her thoughts or feelings. And she is not one to listen if someone orders her how to feel a certain way." I said aloud.

"I'm not the person you should come and confine with. But if you want to hear what she feels about you, talk to her." I concluded.

Tewkesbury's POV

"You have a visitor Mr. Tewkesbury," A servant spoke up as I entered the main hall. My jaw clenched slightly. I wasn't expecting anyone.

"I'm quite busy-" I tried denying him before being interrupted.

"It's urgent, sir." He added. I turned to him before nodding. I wasn't in the mood to see anyone but complied nonetheless.

He led me to the dining room. There was no one there at first glance. I needed to write to [Y/N], I couldn't waste my time.

"Darling," I heard the voice that I learned to so desperately hate. I turned around to see the familiar dark brunette.

"Melanie," I answered coldly.

"Don't be like that Tewkey," She said, walking to me. I cringed at the nickname. Why was she here out of all people?

"I've missed you," She whispered lowly once she was near me. She tried reaching for my hand but I stepped back.

"What do you want?" I asked her, my tone cold. After everything she's done to me, she still has the nerve to show up. Not even that, she outlandishly tried to kidnap my angel. Talk about a mad woman.

"You're hurting my feelings," She pouted. What did I even like about her in the first place? I asked myself. She was nothing compared to [Y/N]. Nothing.

[Y/N]'s beauty and wit are beyond comparable. No one could replace her. Her politeness and rakish persona. She was two different people. One wears a mask, and the other is herself. I was lucky to unmask her and have seen who she is.

"You should have thought about that before leaving me for someone else," I answered Melaine. She looked disappointed, not finding the answer she wanted.

"That's in the past. Surely you can forgive me." She ordered. She wasn't asking, she was insisting. If that's what she came here for, she wasn't going to receive it.

"Look Melanie, why are you here?" I asked frustratedly. I didn't need her here any longer than she should stay.

"I wanted to talk about what's her face," She dozed off. I knew she was talking about [Y/N]. She needed to get over this. I am over this. Melanie was my past whereas [Y/N] is my future. I am not giving up [Y/N] for Melaine. Never in a million lifetimes.

"Miss Alderidge?" I asked, trying to conclude if it was [Y/N].

"Something like that," Melaine waved her hand, not caring about her name.

"That still doesn't answer my question," I let out. She was walking around the dining room. Looking at the paintings my mother had put there.

"I saw you two together a few weeks ago in Richmond." She declared.

"So I've heard." I acknowledged her statement. I was informed the day I went to Mr. Theodore's. I understood why [Y/N] was worried. "Nothing is going on between Miss Alderidge and me. We're simply friends."

"And if your parents were to find out that you were 'friends' with their rival's daughter? What would you do then?" She stopped gazing at the room and turned to look at me.

"What do you want?" I asked her. "Money?" It wouldn't have been the first time she wanted money.

"I want you."

That was all she said. No 'sorry', no 'I regret what I did.' Just 'I want you.' Honestly giving her money to shut her mouth is easier.

"You are delusional, Melanie," I muttered. I looked up to her being serious. "I gave you my heart and soul only for you to break it!" I shouted at her.

"Let's try again," She desperately pleaded. "I promise I'll be better!" She exclaimed. Nothing could repair what she did to me. I felt like I was worth nothing. I spent my time and effort on her only for her to leave me.

"We are through." I snapped. "You said it that day. Now it's my turn. I'm happier off without you. Go cry about it to your other partner."

"Tewkesbury, please. I'm miserable without you." She clung to my arms. I moved back, letting go of her, not caring what she had to say.

"I suggest you leave before I get you removed from the premises," I spoke up. I didn't want to deal with her. It's already so much that she knows about me and [Y/N].

She finally straightened up, knowing I was serious. She looked enraged that I was taking [Y/N]'s side. She left my side and headed for the doorway.

I heard her footsteps until she stopped.

"Tewkesbury, I'm not lying. Leave her. Or else I will tell your families." I heard from behind me.