𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢.

It was past midnight when I was reading, trying to distract myself from my reality. I was going to marry Mateo in a month. I hurried Mateo to get Owen. I managed to stop crying once Mateo left. He didn't need to see me like that. He wouldn't see me like that. I wouldn't allow it.

I heard something being thrown at my balcony door. For a moment my heart stopped, remembering the Basilwether heir and the first time he was here. I set my book aside and quickly ran over. It couldn't have been him, could it?

I carefully opened the door and walked outside. Making my way to the railing, I looked down. While my heart was hopeful for a certain brunette, it was only Owen. I noticed that he was climbing a vine, making his way up here.

"Mind lending me a hand?" He asked, looking up, his voice slightly strained. I offered a hand which he took and used the rest of his force to get up.

When he made it over the railing, he stood up and dusted his waistcoat. After that, he immediately hugged me. "[N/N], I'm so sorry." He whispered into my ear. I hugged him back, feeling the comfort I needed.

I led Owen inside my room where I explained everything. He knew the gist of what had happened when he read my letter, but now that I told him, he was angered.

"And your father is letting him do this?" Owen asked.

"Wyatt is head of the estate now," I explained. "Everything he says goes. I am his property, that is until I marry Mateo." I said, fiddling with my nightgown.

"That bastard," I heard Owen mutter under his breath. "I- is there anything Mateo can do?" Owen inquired.

"Wyatt forced this conversation in front of our families. He knows how to play the game. He's always two steps ahead." I bit the inside of my lip.

"Doesn't he care about your well-being?" Owen asked. I shook my head. Wyatt has never cared for me as a sibling. I was a pawn to him and would help him when he needs it.

"Not since he found out about Tewkesbury. He doesn't want anything to tarnish our family name. In some sense, I understand where he's coming from, but he cannot give me away so easily." I explained to him, saying the last few words bitterly.

Owen seemed hesitant about what he was going to say next. "And what would you think of Tewkesbury asking for your hand in marriage?" Owen inquired.

I was taken aback by this. "No, Owen. And for you to suggest otherwise-" I was interrupted by Owen.

"Think about it-" Owen started, but I interrupted.

"You're thinking foolishly," I began, "Tewkesbury won't be the knight in shining armor. I have to be married off to Mateo. You can find a beautiful girl, rich or not. Your family won't care, but mine does. I'm not my parent's property anymore. You can't help me, and neither can they. No one can."

"[N/N]..."

"I know Tewkesbury might..." I hesitated before saying the word, "Love me, but he knew that he couldn't have had me. I think that's what also intrigued him even more-" I thought out loud but it was Owen's turn to interrupt me.

"That is not true. He does love you. He loves you for you. And there isn't a day where he doesn't think about you. He wants to make sure you're happy, even if that's not with him." Owen declared.

I wanted to believe him. But I know he's telling the truth. I want to hear it from the boy who told me that he would cast away his name for me. From the brunette who is witty and reads me like a book.

"You are his better half [N/N]," Owen continued. "He'll keep loving you. It won't matter if you are married to someone, he will keep loving you until the day he dies." Owen sat down beside me, on my bed.

"[Y/N], please," Owen said, I turned to look at him. "I'm not telling you to convince your parents to marry him or anyone. But please see him one last time. If you are to marry Mateo, at least see Tewkesbury one last time." Owen told me. I looked at him confused. I wasn't sure why he wanted me to do that.

"You both deserve closure if this is your final choice." Owen grabbed my hand. "Just think about it, will you?" He asked. He looked at me but I stared down at the floor.

He mistook my silence as a 'no,' and let go of my hand. He stood up, dusting his trousers before leaving.

"Owen," I called out. I waited for him to turn and look at me. "I will do it. But from now on, you have to trust my judgment. I am done being told what I can and cannot do."

"Of course," Owen nodded, slightly smiling. He turned on his heels heading for the balcony door, leaving me contemplating all my thoughts.