𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢.

Y/N's POV

I was fiddling with it necklace that Tewkesbury had given me. It had become quite a habit now. When I was nervous or even bored. Sometimes I even wondered if Tewkesbury did something like this to Melaine.

Enola entered the room again. She looked like she wanted to punch something. I stood up from my seat and walked to her.

"What happened? What did he need?" I asked her.

"Nothing," She dismissed, approaching me.

"Did he tell you he was proposing?" I asked worriedly. "Wait- did he tell you he fancied you?" The sudden thought came up. That couldn't be it, could it? But it could.

"What? No! None of those things!" Enola tried to dismiss every question I was throwing at her. I was confused then. What did he need from her?

"Then what did he-" I was about to ask until we got interrupted by a knock at the door. We both turned towards the door. I looked at Enola.

"I suggest you answer that," Enola said.

Curious as to why she said that I walked towards the door. I opened it once more and Mateo was still out there. I walked out of my room and into the hallway, holding the handle of the door.

"[N/N]," Mateo greeted again. And now what was he going to talk about, I wondered.

"What can I do for you?" I asked politely, closing the door behind me. I kept trying to keep Matel far away as possible from me. But now that I realized, that must have hurt him.

"[Y/N]-" He paused what he was going to say. Thinking thoroughly. "I-I love you." He declared.

"I know, as do I," I told him. "We've known each other since we were children. You are one of my closest friends." I explained to him. But he knew that.

"That's not what I mean," Mateo said looking aimlessly. He didn't dare meet my eyes, probably afraid of what I would say next.

I know what he meant. I've known for a while. But that's not what I wanted. That's not what I wanted, and he is not what I deserved.

"I know what you mean. Look, my mother is so persistent about this because she doesn't want me to go through anything she has gone through." I started.

"My mother tried to bare many children but ultimately six of them died while she was giving birth. My brother and I are her only two surviving children. She was so fearful that my father would leave her for not bearing an heir or children.

But my father didn't, he told her that he married her because he loved her and was glad that she survived. And she knows that you would stay by my side. And she wants me to take what I can. I appreciate that Mateo, I really do. But I am still young." I tried explaining to him.

Everything I said was true. My mother wasn't forcing me, no, she was encouraging the thought. Many people could mistake that as forcing. She just wants the best life for me. A good husband who will be there for me and someone who will financially be stable. Mateo checked off those boxes for my mother.

But that wasn't enough for me.

"More of the reason to start a life together-" Mateo started. He wasn't listening, he needed to listen.

"Do you even listen?" I interrupted. "I am not ready. I am not ready for marriage, children, or a partner. I know you want to court me and potentially even marry, but I don't want that."

"Is it because of me?" Mateo whispered. And this is why I didn't want anyone to court me. Especially while meeting Tewkesbury secretly. 

"No. Mateo, you are a lovely man. I'm sure anyone would be happy by your side, but don't waste your time on me," I told him, cupping his face to look up at me. He finally did look up at me.

"Give me a little more time," I asked. He nodded and reached for my hand that was on his face. He grabbed it and gently kissed it. I somewhat smiled, hoping he would listen.

He slowly lowered our hands and let go of my hand. I looked down contemplating what I was going to do about him. Did I want him to court me? Absolutely not. But what if Tewkesbury and I didn't work?

"[N/N]," He whispered. I didn't look at him, still thinking. I took a deep breath before he lifted his hand to raise my chin. I finally looked at him. "I'll wait for you as long as it takes." He let out.