𝐢𝐢.

I made my way back inside and knocked on my mother's door before she opened it. "You called for me?" I asked her.

"Yes my dear," My mother said, allowing me to enter her chamber. "Come along," mother said patting the seat in front of me.

I sat down in front of the vanity in her room as she picked up a hairbrush. I could see myself and my mother in the reflection of the mirror. I wondered what I could've been called down for.

"What do you think about marriage?" She asked starting to brush my hair gently.

"It's an honor and something I want eventually but I haven't thought about it before. Why?" I asked her but I knew it probably had to deal with Mateo.

"Well, there are many girls your age happily married, some are even mothers." My mother said in a factly matter. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly, then thought about how to reply.

"I'm not sure. I just... I don't think I'm ready for it," I told her truthfully.

"I understand. Would you marry Mateo?" My mother inquired. I felt tense when I heard the name.

"Lohengrin?" I asked.

"The one and only," My mother confirmed.

"I've heard good things about him. I wouldn't be upset marrying him but I don't love him." I explained to her. "We've been friends for a long time and I couldn't imagine him as anything more than a friend let alone a husband."

"Do you think you could ever learn to love him?" My mother asked, stopping the brushing. She looked in the mirror and I looked up to meet her eyes through the mirror.

"I don't know," I sighed, answering honestly.

"He's going to your ball," Mother explained. "Maybe then you can get to know him more than friends. He's kind, honest, virtuous, diligent, and hard-working. I think you could like him if you gave it a try."

I let a deep sigh meanwhile my mother continued brushing my hair. If my mother thinks I'll be able to love him, I would try for her.

"I'll try. If you think he's a good person then I'll try and see where it goes from there." I told her

"I'm not forcing you, and neither is your father. It's up to you who you marry," She said as she stopped brushing my hair. She placed the brush down. "All I want for you is to be happy." She smiled, cupping my face before kissing my forehead.

"I know mama," I said hugging her. "Is that all?"

"That's all." She answered.

"Well, I need to get ready to go with Enola to the market."

"Alright, stay safe." She smiled. "And no going near the Basilwether's property," She warned. "Your father will have a fit and we certainly don't need any more problems after this morning's incident," She said touching her forehead tiredly.

I left her room and was walking down the hallway when I ran into Wyatt.

"Y/N, just the person I was looking for." He smiled cheerfully. Wyatt was never this cheerful around me...

"Wyatt," I pretended to smile. "The person I always try and avoid," I said sarcastically.

"Love you too," Wyatt rolled his eyes. "Anyways, I wanted to talk to you." He commented.

"If you're going out again with one of your 'friends,' I am not going to cover for you." I crossed my arms. I knew he was going out with his female friends, doing god knows what. I always had to cover. I slightly shivered in disgust.