Chapter Ten

I plopped down on the couch, watching Nora struggle to shove the last few items into her suitcase. The thing was bursting at the seams, with sleeves and pant legs dangling out the sides.

"Nor, you're only going home for like four days... Do you really need all that?" I asked as I watched her try to stuff the stray sleeves back into her suitcase.

"I like to have options." She huffed, plopping her butt down onto the top of the case and beginning her journey of trying to get it zipped.

"Fair enough." I shrugged as I snatched the remote from the coffee table and turned on the television.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Nora asked, her voice strained as she wiped her forehead with the back of her hand. "My parents would love to see you."

I shook my head as I flicked through the channels, "Some alone time will be good for me."

I didn't know if that was necessarily true, but despite Nora's insistence that I could come with her to her parents' house, I wasn't exactly fond of the idea of spending Christmas with someone else's family. It just seemed awkward... sitting in the corner and watching them all exchange gifts.

Evie came marching into the living room, her suitcase already packed as she glanced at the dainty gold watch that she wore on her wrist. "Is Eli here yet? You guys promised you would drop me off at the airport."

"He'll be here... in... a... minute." Nora grunted, finally getting her suitcase zipped before she collapsed onto her back. "That was a fucking workout." She huffed from her bizarre position, sprawled out over her suitcase like a rag doll.

"My flight is in two hours. I should already be in line for TSA, this is the busiest travel day of the year, Nora." Evie huffed, manically checking her watch again.

"I promise you won't miss your flight." Nora said as she pushed herself up. "If you do, I'll pay for your ticket."

"It's 1,000 dollars to fly to Connecticut this week." Evie stated, deadpan, as she placed her hands on her hips.

Nora suppressed a cough, "You won't miss your flight."

"Where are your parents this time, Lucy?" Evie asked, most certainly as a distraction more than out of genuine interest.

"Hawaii." I responded as I clicked through another football game.

"Why didn't you go with them? Hawaii for Christmas, that sounds marvelous." Evie gushed, glancing nervously at her watch again.

"I don't have the money for that right now." I replied absently.

Evie would never understand that notion... her parents, and her rich grandparents, paid for everything. And while both my parents were retired, and doing pretty well for themselves, they insisted that I pave my own path... which included never buying me plane tickets to visit them on their many vacations. The whole thing had bothered me a lot more in college, I had accepted the lonesome holidays by the time I turned twenty-three.

"Eli is here!" Nora stammered as she shoved her phone into her pocket.

"Finally." Evie rolled her eyes. "We'll see you next week then, Lucy." She said, her voice just a tad lighter than the professional tone used by a receptionist.

"Have fun, you guys." I called to them before Nora rushed toward me and pulled me into a crushing hug.

"Bye Lucy. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Nor." I whispered as she let go of me and rushed down the hall after Evie.

I heard them shuffling their way out of the front door, then it slammed closed behind them and I was alone for another holiday.