Chapter Twelve

"Have we decided how we're going to split up into both cars?" Nora called out from the hallway, where she was stifling through the closet in search of her winter coat.

"I don't think it matters that much, Nor. Though, I'm not exactly giddy about the idea of riding up to Tahoe in Evie's Prius."

"I don't think it's snowing there yet." Nora said as she walked into the living room, pulling her massive suitcase behind her. "I do think we should decide the seating situation before Eli gets here so we don't waste any time."

"Well, how many people do we have... and how many seats?"

"Let's see..." Nora stared up at the ceiling as she began listing off names. "There's me, you, Eli, Evie, Jude, and Sophia. And we have five seats in both cars, though I doubt anyone is going to want to squish into the middle seats, but we could—"

Evie interrupted Nora as she marched into the room, "We have one more person coming, actually." she said, like the statement had been obvious.

"What?" Nora's eyebrows pinched together as she glanced over at Evie, "Who? I don't think I forgot anyone."

"Jason." Evie said shortly, flipping her blonde hair off her shoulder.

"Who the fuck is Jason?" I asked, sitting up to turn and stare at her.

"My boyfriend."

"What?!" Both Nora and I screamed at the same time.

"Your boyfriend?" Nora stammered, racing toward Evie with a crazed look in her eyes.

"Since when do you have a boyfriend?" I yelped, jumping off the couch.

"It's only been a couple months." Evie shrugged.

"What the fuck?!" Nora yelped as she grabbed Evie's shoulders, "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Oh my god, is that where you've been going lately? To hang out with him? Your prior engagements were code for you fucking your secret boyfriend?" I stammered, crowding Evie as both Nora and I continued to interrogate her.

"This is why I didn't tell you sooner." Evie said, brushing us off and waltzing into the kitchen.

"Evie has a date for New Year's!" Nora clapped as she jumped up and down in place.

Well, there goes my date, I guess, I thought as I collapsed back on the couch. That meant everyone but me had a date... the perpetually single one. What was I expected to do while they were all making out at midnight? Serenade them with a song?

"If everyone could just try to stay civil regarding all this, I would greatly appreciate it." Evie stated as she filled a glass with water from the tap.

"I refuse to stay civil; I was just crowned the only dateless person on this trip." I scoffed.

"You could invite Levi." Nora chuckled.

"Funny." I sneered.

Nora flashed me a grin before she went back into planning mode, "Okay, so I guess it would make the most sense for Eli, Jude, and I to go pick up Sophia, and Evie you can take Lucy to go pick up your new boyfriend." She said the word with a slight squeal.

I tried to push down the annoying bout of disappointment that arose in my gut in response to the driving arrangements. Why the fuck did I care that I wasn't riding with Jude? That should be something to be elated about...