Chapter Thirteen

I grimaced as Nora pulled another strand of my hair around the curling iron, twisting and pulling it until the base of the curler was dangerously close to my scalp.

"I don't see why I have to dress up, I don't have a fucking date." I grunted as I stared into the mirror in front of me, where my reflection glared back.

"It's New Year's Eve, Lucy." Nora exhaled, like that notion alone was enough to explain why she had forced me into the itchy, sequin-clad dress I was currently trying to yank further down my legs.

"Stop pulling at it." Evie demanded from where she was carefully dusting blush onto her cheeks. "My grandfather got me that dress during one of his trips to Milan."

"Your grandfather got you this?" I asked, my voice unable to hide the shock I felt as I glanced down at the thing. "A little sexy to be a gift from a grandparent, don't you think?"

Evie rolled her eyes, "He's European."

I chuckled as Nora continued wrapping my hair around the curling iron, "That makes all the difference, you're right."

I caught Sophia's reflection as she walked into the bathroom from Evie and Jason's bedroom. She was wearing this bizarre, wrap dress that looked like it had been crafted from the same material used to make aluminum foil.

"Do you guys think Jude will like this dress?" She asked, twirling around in a circle behind us. I caught my reflection again and watched as my nose turned up in annoyance at her inquiry.

Nora let my hair slip out from the grip of the curling iron before she turned toward Sophia. "He'll love it, you look amazing."

Evie nodded but refused to turn around as she started brushing mascara onto her lashes.

Sophia's eyes met mine in the mirror and she turned her head expectantly.

"Yup, you look great." I spat out, cursing myself for being unable to sound more convincing.

"Thanks guys." Sophia flashed a grin. "I don't know, I'm just worried... after last night with the truth or dare fiasco..." Her voice trailed off, clearly searching for validation as she collapsed onto the seat next to me.

"Don't even worry about that." Nora urged as she turned off the curling iron and set it down on the counter in front of me. "He was probably just nervous."

I heard a scoff echo out of my throat before I tried to disguise it as a cough.

Sophia flashed me a glare out of the corner of her eyes before she continued on her self-indulgent spiel. "I was thinking it might be because he wants our first kiss to be special, and obviously kissing because of a truth or dare game isn't—" Her voice faded as I stood up and walked back through Evie and Jason's room.

I didn't want to hear Nora and Evie console her for the next hour... and I didn't want to think about her and Jude kissing later in the night. I reminded myself that the whole reason they were going to kiss at midnight had been my fault. I had lied and told her Jude liked her. I had told them to go on a date. I had urged Jude to leave me alone and makeout with Sophia on numerous occasions. None of this should be bothering me, and yet... it felt like someone had stuffed hot coals down my throat, where they now had begun smoldering away in my gut.

I walked down the stairs and turned left on my way to the kitchen. I would lay low for the remainder of the night. I would ignore Jude and Sophia. And right before the New Year began, I would make my way to a secluded room, where I wouldn't have to stand idly around while everyone else kissed their dates.