Chapter 20: Not Treating the Poor!

"Hippocratic Oath?"

Chief Physician Zuo was stunned for a moment.

He looked confused.

Obviously, he had forgotten most of it.

Lu Ming said in exasperation, "Don't tell me that you didn't memorize this when you swore to be a doctor at the start of medical school? Could it be that you went to some fly-by-night university?"

Chief Physician Zuo said impatiently, "With my current achievements, how could I have attended a fly-by-night university?! Let me tell you, I have indeed memorized it before, but I have long forgotten it! Why? Did I need it at my interview? Or, how much money would I get for memorizing it? This society only recognizes money and not people. Stop lecturing me-do you really think you're my superior?!"

Upon hearing this, Lu Ming frowned. The Hippocratic Oath was the most basic principle of a doctor.

It was the first lesson that medical students had to learn and swear by.

'Divine Doctor Apollo, Asclepius, and the gods of the world are my witnesses. I hereby solemnly swear that I am willing to abide by this promise with my own judgment.

/ please keep reading on MYB0XN0VEL(d0t)C0M.

I'm willing to do everything I can and have the ability to judge. I'll abide by the creed of seeking benefits for the sick family, and I'll also observe all depravity and harmful behavior... No matter where I go, if I meet a man or a woman, a noble or a servant, my only goal is to obtain happiness for the sick family, and to check on my body...

If I strictly adhere to this oath and ask the gods to let my life and medical skills obtain supreme glory, I will violate the oath and be struck by both heaven and earth.'

1

But now, this person was disregarding his oath. How could Lu Ming not be angry!

"No matter where you go, whether you meet a man or a woman, a noble or a servant, everyone should be treated equally. Don't you know?!"

2

Chief Physician Zuo laughed scornfully. "This is all to fool an idiot like you! People are not equal-a person's social class is determined at birth. People like you are just low-class! Luckily, I'm kind-hearted, or else I would have gotten someone to kick you out!"

1

He waved his hand in disdain and said, "Get lost! Don't you know that my time is very precious? The number of people in Shanghai who want to see me stretches from the east coast to the west coast! It's the greatest honor of your life to be able to talk to me!"

Lu Ming's body was still wet from the rain. He held the old man whose breathing was getting weaker. He said, "Are you evil? Quickly arrange for treatment for this old man!"

"Do I have to listen to you?"

Chief Physician Zuo put his hands in his pockets and said, "I think I've already made myself very clear. I don't treat poor people. Besides, do you know how much a bed costs? You can't even dream about it!"

Lu Ming could tell that he was unmoved. After taking a look at the name on his badge-Zuo Chongyang-he looked at the other doctors. "Help this old man! He was hit by a car. He won't be able to hold out for long!"

When the doctors saw him approaching, they immediately stood aside and refused to help.

Zuo Chongyang said proudly, "Who do you think you are! Do you think you can play the emotional card?"

He snorted. "Do you know why no doctor is willing to save the old man in your hands? Because I'm the one who calls the shots in the surgical unit in This Place Hospital! I can let you die with just one sentence, and I can make you live-but only if you're rich.