Chapter Thirty-Three

Sandra and Taylor were on their drive back to Aurora. It was Saturday, and Sandra had thought it best for them to head back so that they could have a day of rest before returning to work and school.

"You're quiet," Sandra said, breaking the silence.

Taylor had been looking out her passenger side window. She looked over at Sandra and smiled. "Sorry, just thinking. Probably more than I should."

"I think we can all be guilty of that at times, Sweetheart. Anything bothering you?"

"Nothing more than usual, I guess. Samuel and Sarai were in New York with us."

Sandra kept her eyes on the road but her brows became furrowed. "What the hell?!"

"Yeah. I had to do training last night and the night before that."

"You can't even have a small break?" Sandra asked.

"Not when there's something evil lurking. It will be here in less than a month."

"Do you know when exactly all of this is going to take place?"

"Not specifically. I know a general time frame of when it will be here, but I don't know where, what time, or under what circumstances."

"When you first told me all of this, I think I put it out of my mind that you could be doing something dangerous."

"I know you don't want me to do this."

"You're exactly right. I don't want my 16-year-old daughter to have to fight off a threat that I really have no clue about."

"I wish I didn't have to. At the same time, if I can protect Adrienne, I want to do that."

"I suppose Samuel and Sarai would find a way to bust you out of anything I tried to hide you in."

Taylor laughed, not only out of humor but in acquiescence. She accepted her destiny. "They would. They certainly would." Taylor turned back to her passenger side window.

There was an unspoken agreement between the two of them to leave that subject alone, to concentrate on all of the good things that were happening, all of the fun that they had during Thanksgiving, and the excitement of meeting the rest of her family.

***

"She's improving dramatically," Samuel said to Sarai as they were planning to leave the warehouse.

"She's still holding back," Sarai replied.

"Do you not believe that she will be able to fulfill her responsibility?"

"No, that's not what I am suggesting. I am merely suggesting that in these simulations, while she has certainly made strides, she is still holding herself back," Sarai told him.

"She is questioning herself," Samuel asked.

"That is my thought as well. One of her true attributes is that she is humble. One could argue that this is a strength. It can also present a weakness in that she questions herself, her capabilities."

"Will you seek further instruction from the Council?"

"Yes, the Council warned me of this possibility, and I will consult with them on what other measures we can use to build her confidence."

"Taylor will always persevere. She has shown this throughout her lifetime."

"That, she will. Last night was much better than the first. She lasted much longer."

"Shall we now retire to our residence in Aurora?" Samuel asked her.

"We shall, and we will continue our work this evening."