Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Taylor!" the room boomed in response to the deep voice that escaped the figure's mouth.

They can talk?! What? Taylor was simply assuming at this point that whoever this dark figure was, was probably a Dark One. But the demon in the box at the old Victorian home had never spoken, only made shrill noises and screams.

"Iz... Izael?" Taylor stammered, dropping her phone.

"Smart mortal angel scum, aren't you, Taylor?" the figure asked with a sinister laugh. He moved closer into view.

Izael was hideous. He was cloaked in a long, black shawl with a hood over his head. His face was an opaque gray-black, but also had a bit of a scaly appearance to it. There were no discernible features other than his eyes and his mouth which didn't really have defined lips. His eyes were a deep red, almost a crimson. There were no whites to his eyes and they didn't shine like rays of light as the other demon's had.

"I'm not scum, you asshole!" Taylor shouted at him, trying to demand respect in light of being afraid.

"You actually believe you are capable of protecting the girl from me? You're nothing but a diluted, half-blood child. You're even less of an angel than a cherub," Izael said, sneering.

"Did you come here to insult me?" Taylor asked him.

Izael began pacing back and forth in front of them. "No, I merely enjoy playing with my food before I devour it. Obviously, I am here to kill the girl and make her one of my own, but she won't be the only one who perishes."

Izael was merely posturing, it seemed, in an attempt to demonstrate his strength and dominance.

"Where are her parents?"

"Relax a little, Taylor. Not everyone had to die tonight. They are safely on their way home after a little scare," Izael told her, laughing maniacally.

Taylor could still sense Adrienne behind her, barely breathing and as stiff as a statue.

"So, you lured us here?" Taylor asked him.

"The girl took the bait, didn't she? You're here, aren't you?"

"I'm not going to let anyone die tonight... except you!" Taylor shouted at him.

Izael cackled again. "That's not how this works. I will fulfill my need tonight whether you object to it or not."

Izael lifted one of his scaly hands. Taylor wasn't sure what he was about to do, but she was on the ready. However, she quickly realized that something was happening behind her as she heard Adrienne begin to choke. Taylor noticed that Izael's hand was formed in such a way that it looked as if he was wrapping it around someone's invisible throat. She looked behind her to find Adrienne's eyes bulging in panic, and she was struggling to breathe. Taylor felt like a student with a sudden bout of test anxiety, that the knowledge she had accumulated over the past few months was suddenly erased from her mind.

Taylor turned back to Izael, her blood boiling beneath her skin. She pushed her rage back and mobilized her power from within. She could begin to feel her instincts take over, knowing immediately what she needed to do. She faced the palms of her hands to Izael and her eyes directly at his face. The palms of her hands began to glow creating a blast of bright blue light within the room, her eyes transforming from their normal brown to a vibrant blue. The building began to shake as Taylor channeled her energy. A wind blew through the room, scattering dust, shards of glass, and odd items of every sort.

"Is that all you've got, little girl?!" Izael taunted her, his hand still grasping Adrienne's neck from across the room.

Taylor shot a heavy ray of blue at Izael, hitting him squarely in the shoulder. His shoulder kicked back in response to the jolt. She heard Adrienne fall to the ground behind her as Izael's hand unclenched. He looked at his shoulder and back at Taylor.