Chapter Forty

Taylor sat on her bed in the group home reading one of her favorite books, trying so very hard to stay away from all of the rowdiness of the other kids. She wanted calm and peace. Being uprooted from yet another foster family had taken its toll her. She still had Lindsey and her mom, at least. People who cared about her and stopped by often to check in and make sure she was reminded of that fact.

There was a light tapping on her door as it swung open. Taylor looked up from her book to find Marjorie poking her head in and then entering the room once she saw Taylor was there. She came over to Taylor's bunk and sat on the edge, the smell of stale cigarettes following her in.

"This book again, huh?" Marjorie asked her.

Taylor tucked her thumb in the pages she was on and looked at the cover, smiling. Where the Lilies Bloom. "Yeah, it's kinda my favorite."

"I have some news to share with you, Taylor," Marjorie said, sighing as if she didn't want the burden of delivering this news.

"OK," Taylor said, folding her mark in the book and setting it down next her.

"Lindsey and her mother, Sheila, will not be coming to visit any longer."

"Why not?" Taylor asked, her brows furrowing. She wondered if she had done something wrong and cost herself visitation privileges.

"There's been an accident, Taylor," Marjorie said.

"What kind of accident?"

Tears started forming in the corners of Marjorie's eyes. It was the most emotion Taylor had ever seen her express.

"Sheila, Lindsey, and Lindsey's father were on their way home from the city, driving along the expressway. It was raining, and they hydroplaned."

"What does hydroplane mean?"

"It means there was a lot of water on the road, making their tires unable to keep traction on the roadway, causing the vehicle to move uncontrollably," Marjorie told her.

"Are they OK?" Taylor asked with growing concern.

Marjorie looked away for a second and shook her head. She turned back to Taylor.

"Taylor, they didn't make it."

Tears formed in Taylor's own eyes. She wasn't sure how to process what she had just heard. She felt a pit in her stomach. She looked down at her arm, adorned with the friendship bracelet Lindsey had given her only a few weeks before.

"What?"

"They lost control of their car, crossed the median, and a tractor trailer crashed into them. They didn't survive."

Adrienne was hovering over Taylor, shaking her.

"Taylor! Noooooo! Wake up, goddammit! Please!" she shouted through her tears.

Izael remained on his side of the room, writhing and groaning in pain as the flames grew.

"Taylor! I. Can't. Lose. You... Waaaaaaake upppp."

Adrienne laid her head on Taylor's chest, trying to figure out what to do. She wasn't going to leave Taylor here, not for a second.

A strange man stepped on the landing to the third floor. Adrienne lifted her head up and spun towards the stairs. He had porcelain white skin, perfectly clear eyes, and no hair. He stopped, surveying the situation, eying Adrienne briefly before stepping over towards Taylor.

Adrienne shielded Taylor with her body. "No!"

"Adrienne, I am Samuel. I'm going to help Taylor. I will not hurt her."