Chapter 11

Amber

As I sat in Phil's office, waiting for him to come back from the important meeting he's attending my mind drifted back to everything that had happened yesterday.

Isaac telling me we slept on the same bed, him eating the dinner I cooked, and even though his disgust for me was still evident in his eyes, he refrained from getting angry at me, and then there was Ethan and his fiancée.

Even though I've agreed to help Ethan I can't help but think about what Phil would think of me when I give him the big news... Ethan said he adores me so he wouldn't get angry at me but he could get disappointed right?

Phil is someone I've known for a long time, he was my father's best friend and he used to come over a lot but he never brought Isaac or Ethan with him, neither did my father ever take me over to Phil's so I never got to know the boys, I only knew that he had children and that was all, I didn't know how many and I never bothered to know.

I don't want Phil to think of me poorly, even though Ethan has been very good to me, I have only known him for like three days and I don't think I should really stand up for him against Phil.

"Amber, what brings you here sweetie?" a voice came and broke my train of thoughts, it was Phil, I looked up at him and blinked a few times trying to come back to reality.

"Ah.... actually... I wanted to talk about Ethan" I managed to say with great difficulty.

"What about him?"

"Please don't think poorly of me but he said that he doesn't have the courage to say it to your face so-" he cut me off.

"So he wants you to say it for him?"

I nodded and he sighed "Very well then, go ahead... what is it that he wants you to tell me?"

"He got engaged" I said in a hushed tone.

"What?"

"He's engaged to Elle Stevenson" I said letting out a long breath "They love each other very much" I added and saw him shake his head in disapprovement.

"I'm sorry"

"Don't... it's alright, come here" he said and I did.

He took me in his embrace "Take care of yourself okay, you look pale and sickly, your father would have had my head if he saw you like this" he said patting my head lovingly.

"But-" he cut me off again "You're too kind to everyone around you sweetie, don't worry, go home...  I'll talk with Ethan" he said.

"I know it's not my place to say this but finding true love is not easy so when one does find it, it's important to try and keep it. They truly love each other Phil and I trust you, I know you'll take the right decision" I said and he nodded slowly.

We said our goodbyes and Phil called the one person I was in no mood of coming face to face with, he ordered Isaac to drive me home and he did but the car ride wasn't silent like the last time.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked and he nodded. Wow are we progressing as a couple?

"Elle Stevenson... do you know her?

"Yea she's the girl my brother is head over heals for" he growled

"Woah... calm down, I was just asking"

"Why would you ask such a stupid question?"

Okay, he's back to his normal self again, not wanting to strech the conversation and make him even more mad I decided to shut my mouth after saying "I'm sorry, curiosity got the best of me.

After twenty minutes of driving we finally reached the villa ; his villa.

Opening the door I got out of the car in a hurry and went inside without saying anything else to him... I thought he'd go back to his office and he did, the car engine roared and he was off.... we didn't even say goodbye to each other and that's normal for us.

I went inside and saw Christine doing some dusting here and there "Hey" I greeted.

"Oh hi ma'am, how are you doing? Anything I can help you with?"

"You don't have to be so formal with me you know" I said crossing the room, she gave me a small smile with a slight nod of her head.

I went upstairs to the room I share with my husband and flopped down on the bed, the eight days I was left alone in this house were probably the most peaceful days of my married life.

Ethan and Elle, they look good together, I hope Phil approves of their marriage... I know Ethan doesn't really need his father's permission to marry someone but I know he'd love it if he gave them his blessings for the future.

My mind drifted back to Tyler and the future we would've had together if he didn't leave me alone in this lonely world. I grabbed my phone from my bag and started scrolling through the photos, the memories I have of him.

I didn't realise I was crying until a drop of tear fell on my phone's screen, I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and took a deep breath. Calming myself a little, I decided to call my mother, it'll be a good distraction for me.

I dialled her number but she didn't pick up my call, not knowing what to do I decided to go to the one place I know I'll be fine - the library.

Just as I stood up my phone started going off, Ethan's name flashed on the screen and I stiffened... God this is going to be so hard, what am I supposed to tell him? He did go to the office with Isaac this morning, I think Phil has already had 'the talk' with him.

I finally picked up the phone, answering it in a slightly shaky voice "Hello" I said.

"You did it"

"Did what?" I asked in confusion.

"Dad... you convinced him" he said excitedly and I could imagine the smile he must have on his face right now.

"Oh my god! Congratulations Ethan!" I said equally excited for him and Elle.

I sighed in relief when he started giving me the details of the long talk he had with his father, he was so happy.... his love for Elle is so pure, I couldn't help but envy her a little, I am happy for them, I truly am but I do wish at times that I too had someone, I wish my Tyler was alive.