𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬: 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚅𝙸𝙸

𖣘 𝙲𝚊𝚗'𝚝 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝙰𝚠𝚊𝚢 𖣘

𝑰𝑵 𝑨𝑻𝑯𝑬𝑵𝑨'𝑺 𝑫𝑹𝑬𝑨𝑴 𝑰𝑻 𝑾𝑨𝑺 𝑽𝑬𝑹𝒀 𝑫𝑨𝑹𝑲, and there was a dim light that seemed to be radiating from Edward's skin

She couldn't see his face, just his back as he walked away from her, leaving the girl in the blackness. No matter how fast Athena ran, she couldn't catch up to him; no matter how loud Athena called, he never turned.

Troubled, the girl woke in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep again for what seemed like a very long time.

After that, Edward visited Athena in her dreams sometimes, but always on the periphery, never within reach.

𓇽𓇽𓇽
✰★✰

The month that followed the accident was uneasy, tense, and, at first, embarrassing.

To Athena's dismay, she found herself the center of attention for the rest of that week. Tyler Crowley was impossible, following the girl around, obsessed with making amends to her somehow.

Athena tried to convince him what she wanted more than anything else was for him to forget all about it-especially since nothing had happened to her-but he remained insistent.

He followed the girl between classes and sat at their now-crowded lunch table. Mike and Eric were even less friendly toward him than they were to each other, which made Athena worry that she'd gained another unwelcome fan.

No one seemed concerned about Edward, though Athena explained over and over that he was the hero-how he pulled her out of the way and had nearly been crushed, too.

She tried to be convincing. Jessica, Mike, Eric, and everyone else always commented that they hadn't even seen him there till the van was pulled away.

The girl wondered to herself why no one else had seen him standing so far away, before he was suddenly, impossibly saving her life.

With chagrin, Athena realized the probable cause-no one else was as aware of Edward as she always was.

No one else watched him the way she did.

How pitiful.

Edward was never surrounded by crowds of curious bystanders eager for his firsthand account. People avoided him as usual. The Cullens and the Hales sat at the same table as always, not eating, talking only among themselves.

None of them, especially Edward, glanced her way anymore.

When he sat next to her in class, as far from the girl as the table would allow, he seemed unaware of her presence.

Only now and then, when his fists would suddenly ball up-skin stretched even whiter over the bones-did Athena wonder if he wasn't quite as oblivious as he appeared.