𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶: 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸𝙸

𖣘 𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚃𝚘 𝚁𝚞𝚒𝚗 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙱𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚑𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚢 𖣘

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐑 𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃 opened the passenger door for Athena

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐑 𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃 opened the passenger door for Athena. She wasn't going to argue, besides she still had a hard time finding the obscure turnoff to his house in the dark.

Edward drove north through Forks, visibly going over the speed limit.
"Can you do me a favor?" he spoke up.

"That depends on what it is."

He sighed, his lovely face serious. "Athena, the last real birthday any of us had was Emmett in 1935. Cut us a little slack, and don't be too difficult tonight. They're all very excited."

It always startled the girl a little when he brought up things like that.
"Fine, I'll behave."

"I probably should warn you..."

"Please do."

"When I say they're all excited... I do mean all of them."

"Everyone? I thought Emmett and Rosalie were in Africa." the rest of Forks was under the impression that the older Cullens had gone off to college this year, to Dartmouth, but Athena knew better.

"Emmett wanted to be here."

"But... Rosalie?" she said hesitantly.

"I know, Athena. Don't worry, she'll be on her best behavior."

She didn't answer. Like she could just not worry, that easy. Unlike Alice, Edward's other "adopted" sister, the golden blond and exquisite Rosalie didn't like Athena much. Actually, the feeling was a little bit stronger than just dislike. As far as Rosalie was concerned, the human girl was an unwelcome intruder into her family's secret life.

She felt horribly guilty about the present situation, guessing that Rosalie and Emmett's prolonged absence was her fault, even as she furtively enjoyed not having to see Rosalie Emmett, Edward's playful bear of a brother, she did miss. He was in many ways just like a brother to her... only much, much more terrifying.

Edward decided to change the subject. "So, is there anything that you'd like for your birthday?"

Athena tsked annoyingly. "I told you! I don't want anything from you! Please tell me that you didn't spend any money to get me something."

"Not a dime." He answered virtuously.

"Good."

They were pulling up to the house now. A bright light shined from every window on the first two floors. A long line of glowing Japanese lanterns hung from the porch eaves, reflecting a soft radiance on the huge cedars that surrounded the house. Big bowls of flowers-pink roses-lined the wide stairs up to the front doors.