Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Decisions

Hayden's P.O.V*

When I heard that Drake had been arrested and put into jail again, I almost couldn't believe it. Yeah he's selling drugs again. But he's supposed to be the best. How did he get caught? And if I go into labor, he won't be able to be there for the birth. I was having doubts before, but I want him to be there.

I signed in at the desk and the officer let me into the visitors' area. I found an empty table and sat down. A moment passed and Drake came out wearing light blue pants and a light blue pullover.

The first time he was in jail, I never visited him. I'm angry and hurt. I never really saw what prison did to him. Looking at him now, he's different. His hair was messy and he looked tired.

"Hey." He said as he sat down across from me. "You're the last person I was expecting to see." He reached out to take my hand, but I moved them. He frowned. "I really am sorry for what I did. I promise you that I didn't have a choice."
"So, you're going to tell the judge everything, right?"
"Everything like what?"
"That you had no choice. If you don't, you'll have to stay here."

"I promise I'll do whatever it takes to get out of here."
"Good." I smiled. Well, my baby shower is in a few days. And I was in the hospital yesterday because of a few contractions. But I'm okay now. I just thought I'd tell you."
"Just in case I'm not out of here by the time they're born, what are the names?"

I hate to think that he won't be there for the birth, but I understand that he wants to know just in case.

"For the boy, I decided Darren Eugene Burton."
"My middle name?"

"Yeah. Your sister isn't too crazy about it but I think it's cute."

"Alright, and what about the girls?"

"Brooke Trinity and Alyssa Rose."

"Cute." He smiled. "I like them."

I looked at his blue uniform and then the slight bags that were beginning to form under his eyes.

"So how are you holding up in here?" I asked him.

"Alright. It brings back a few memories, but it's alright."

"No one has threatened you or anything have they?"
"No, but I could be. I know how to handle myself. You don't have to worry."
"I know. But I want you out of here."

"We'll see tomorrow."

Court Session

I sat with Drake's mom and his sister. I'm so nervous right now. This session will decide Drake's fate. He may not be there for the birth of the triplets.

The bailiff announced the next case and I knew it was Drake's. He entered with a police escort and his hands cuffed. He took a seat behind one of the empty tables.

"Drake Burton, you were found with 5 pounds of Cocaine, 3 pounds of Marijuana, and 4 pounds of Methamphetamine. What do you have to say for yourself?"

I looked at Drake expectantly. He's going to tell them the truth right? He's going to tell them why he started dealing in the first place? Someone took my hand and gave it a light squeeze. I looked over and saw it was Drake's mom. She gave me a reassuring smile.

"It'll be okay." She mouthed. I nodded in response.

"Well your honor." Drake began. "I'm sure you're familiar with Duke Macintosh. He's my boss. I've known him since I was a freshman in high school. I got caught up with the wrong people and found myself in jail. When I got out, I devoted myself to my family, but although my girlfriend and I are both working, we're not making enough to get us into the clear. One of Duke's men contacted me and brought me to visit Duke in prison. He threatened to take my family away if I didn't sell for him again."
"And why would he want you to sell for him again?" The judge asked.