Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Closer

Drake's P.O.V*

Hayden quickly set up the decorations for Brandon's birthday party. Brandon turns three today. I can't believe it's been three years already. He's growing up way too fast. Soon he'll be starting preschool in September.

"Drake, did you pick up the cake?" Hayden asked me.

"It's in the fridge." I answered.

"Good. Are the kids dressed?"

"All four of them."

"Perfect. I thing everything is taken care of. Everyone will be here in a few minutes."

"You need to relax." I told her, wrapping my arm around her waist. "You're stressing yourself out."

"I just want this to be perfect. It's not everyday that Brandon turns three."

"I understand that, but the last thing you need is stress. It's summer break. This is the time to be carefree."

The doorbell rang and Hayden went to answer it. My mom, sister, and Hayden's mom were at the door. Hayden gave them each a hug as they entered.

"Hi Drake." Veronica said. "Where's the birthday boy?"

"He's up in his room playing. We'll bring him down once everyone is here."

"Who is coming?"

"Hayden's dad, step mom, brother, her best friend, and her best friend's boyfriend."

"Well it's not too many people. They should be here soon right?"

"Yeah, they're on their way."

Once everyone had arrived, Hayden and I went upstairs to get the kids. Brandon was sitting on the floor playing with a toy.

"Hey birthday boy." Hayden said, picking Brandon up and placing a kiss on his cheek.

I picked up Alyssa and Darren to bring them downstairs. Hayden put Brandon down and let him walk. She picked up Brooke and we headed downstairs.

Brandon began jumping up and down when he saw everyone. He ran over to give everyone a hug.

"You're such a sweetheart today." My mom said.

"It's my birthday!" He exclaimed.

"How old are you?" Carson asked him.

Brandon took the time to hold up three fingers and he gave a huge smile. He's such a cute kid.

"I'm three." He said. "I'm big boy now."

"Yes you are." I said. "Let's go get your cake."

We had cake and played a few games. Brandon opened his gifts and wanted to stop to play with each one before opening the next. Soon Brandon tired himself out and I put him to bed. Carson and Cindy left with Matt since they live pretty far out and it's getting late.

"So how's it going with finding the money for a wedding?" My mom asked.

"It's slow, but it's coming along." Hayden answered.

"Don't get upset." My mom started, eyeing me. "But I've decided to pay for half of your wedding."

"Mom, why..." I started.

"I'm tired of waiting. I've seen you struggled through these last couple of years. Now you've transformed into a wonderful man and father. You disserve to be married and I don't want your wedding to be postponed for something that family can help with. I'm paying for half of your wedding expenses and you're going to let me."