six: pain

-▪︎☆♡☆▪︎-

"YOU TRAVEL AN AWFUL LOT."

muichiro shrugs, wiping the rest of the rice from his mouth. he stares at the white grain on his fingers each time before licking it off carelessly.

"i don't have any pets, or anyone to be home in time for. so i don't really mind... i guess." muichiro softly says.

"are you planning to travel any further away?" hikari nervously asks. she begins bouncing her leg up and down, catching muichiro's attention.

"i mean, yeah. it's my job. why?"

"because if i travel any further than this, i won't be home in time for sunrise." hikari says sadly. muichiro looks up at her sad expression, and she quickly hides her face by standing up and walking away.

"how about when i can see you, i bring you more food?" hikari suggests. "i have a feeling you forget to eat."

"that's fine." muichiro replies. hikari nods, still looking up at the bright moon. she wipes the soft tears from her glossy cheeks before looking down.

she sees a small, yellow flower. she smiles, kneeling down to pick it. she holds it in her palm, gently stroking the yellow petals as muichiro shuffles behind her. she turns around, still focusing on her lovely flower.

"tokito-san! look! i found-"

muichiro suddenly tackles hikari to the floor. she wheezes into his chest, the air entirely knocked out of her as her back roughly collides with the dirt. she sees a shadowy figure moving overhead, and she gasps.

a demon has appeared.

"get behind me." muichiro orders as he pulls hikari up. she obliges, standing close to his back as he pulls out his dazzling white blade.

this demon doesn't bother talking. it instantly lunges for muichiro. he shoves hikari further out of harm's way as he slices the demon's arm off.

"go. over there."

hikari runs to where muichiro points. she ducks behind a tree, breathing heavily out of fear. her chest rises and falls rapidly, her back already feeling bruised from when muichiro tackled her.

she hears the fighting, making her squint her eyes shut out of fear. she hears the sounds of two blades clashing, flesh and fabric tearing, inhuman snarling. muichiro remains silent, even as the demon taunts, growls, and roars viciously.

a slash is heard.

she smells muichiro's blood. out of pure terror, she turns her head to see the young hashira get cut on the arm. the demon kicks, knocking muichiro's blade out of his arm.

hikari runs before she can act. she stands in front of muichiro, her arms outstretched to protect him from the incoming attack. she squints her eyes, awaiting he pain to be inflicted upon her. muichiro reaches for his sword, never taking his eyes off the demon girl, even as she gets slashed all over.

"hikari!" he catches her as she falls. several wounds all over her chest bleed. her leg hangs on by a thread, so very close to being severed. muichiro wonders if it would be better to just sever it entirely.