Conversations

The camp was quite, the only sound being the constant breaking of wood as I chopped into. I don't know how long I've been going at it for, all I know is that my arms were aching and I'm sure my palms were going to blister.

It was a good distraction though, so I wasn't going to complain too much, and besides, now the camp had enough firewood to last us weeks if we were carful enough.

Usually, I would take my frustrations out on the nearest punching bag, but with one not exactly being available this was the next best thing.

I chopped a few more logs before setting the axe down against a nearby tree. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and stretched out my arms, feeling a little bit of the tension ease from them.

I turned around and spotted my sister-in-law making her way through camp. Biting my lip and I tried to catch up with her. "Lori," I called and she paused.

Thankful that she stopped I made my way to her side and faced her. "Look about that thing you had me-" "Stop," She cut me off and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What do you mean stop? Lori you're pregnant, aren't you?" It was more of an accusation than a question and she looked me dead in the eyes.

"Ellie, you can't tell anyone, especially not Rick," she said to me and I shook my head at her, she couldn't be serious.

"You want me to lie to my brother?" I questioned her, and just as I said that I spotted Rick and Shane making their way down the path. Lori spotted them too and gave me a pleading look.

I simply shook my head and walked away from her.

I seriously couldn't believe she just fucking asked me to lie to my brother like that. I understand if this was normal circumstances not wanting to tell him to make it a surprise, but for one it really wasn't the time for surprises, and two it seemed like she was dreading telling him.

It was the complete opposite of how it was with Carl. When she found out she was pregnant with him she only kept it a secret for a day or two, and that was because she wanted to do a big reveal.

I wouldn't tell my brother though, at least for now. She's not going to be able to hide it forever, sooner or later he was going to find out.

I ended up deciding to make my way to the RV for some peace and quiet, figuring I could get my thoughts together there.

Thankfully it was empty. The only person nearby was Andrea, who was on top of the RV. She nodded at me as I got closer and I sent a wave her way before entering the RV.

I took a seat at the table and let out an exasperated groan before resting my head in my hands. I was exhausted to say the least, and it wasn't just from chopping wood.

It felt like I had the entire weight of the world on my shoulders, or at least a good chunk of it.

There was just so much stuff to worry about. Lori, Maggie, Sophia, fuck even Shane was acting weird. He has been ever since he got back the night when Carl had his surgery. Actually it's been longer than that. It's been ever since Rick showed up all that long ago.

Footsteps alerted me that someone was nearby and my eyes flickered up to spot Dale stepping inside the RV.

"Sorry... just needed some quiet for a moment," I apologized as I leaned backwards in the seat and he smiled sympathetically at me, as if he could sense my inner turmoil.