Missing

The next day we were back on the road, all of us glad to leave the city behind.

We had all gotten into different cars and I was currently sitting in the back of one with Carol and Sophia while Rick, Lori, and Carl were in the front, Carl being Tucked into his mother's side as it was a bit cramped in the car, I had offered to ride in the RV but Rick had said it was no trouble.

We road in comfortable silence, my head was against the window and I watched the trees as they went by, the window itself was cool against my skin, giving a little relief against the hot Georgia sun.

"Just Thinking about our trip to the grand canyon with Carl." Lori's voice broke through the silence as she addressed her husband and I moved my gaze away from the trees and onto her.

Rick looked at Lori and smiled, a laugh bubbling out from him as he recalled the trip.

"I don't remember that," Carl said, looking at his parents with clear confusion in his eyes.

"No, you wouldn't. You were just a baby." Lori told him, amusement lacing her voice. "Besides, we never made it past fort worth."

"No, you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much." Rick added and I snickered, "I remember that, I also remember getting a call in the middle of the night from your father, he had no idea what to do."

"Well excuse me for turning to my sister in my time of need," Rick said sarcastically, though a smile still graced his face.

I scoffed playfully, "I was thirteen Rick, besides, everything turned out fine didn't it? "

"That it did, the doctor said you would be alright and we turned right around and went home." Lori added and Carl looked up at his mom, "That sucks." He said and Lori shook her head.

"No, it was a good trip."

"The best." Rick agreed and reached over to pat his wife's hand.

"Can we go see it? The grand canyon?" Carl questioned, "I'd like to."

"I would too." Sophia piped up from beside me, "Can we go?"

"We'd never go without you and your mom. That's a promise," Rick said as he turned away from the road to look at the little girl.

We drove for a bit longer when the RV suddenly came to a stop in front of us, the large number of cars in front of us no doubt blocking our path. I had expected for there to be lots of them, but I had forgotten just how clumped together all the vehicles would be.

It took a moment, but I watched as Daryl circled around and led our convoy through a small path between all the cars.

As we rode through it was like a car graveyard, all of them filled with belongings that most likely would never be claimed again unless they served a purpose.

A bit further in the RV came to another stop, but this time I could see the smoke coming from the engine. "Shit," I muttered, gripping the seat in front of me as I tried to get a better look.

Rick brought the car to rest and took the keys out before exiting the car, the rest of us followed him and we made our way over to see what had happened.