The Start

When the world went to hell I thought that maybe it would last a few weeks and then some scientist out there would find a cure, that was how it usually went, right?

That never happened and now the dead roam this world and I can tell you one thing, no matter what you think...what you feel... you're never safe.

I would come to learn that over time, but I guess in the beginning we were all naive.

My name's Ellie Grimes, I'm 23 years old, Just like my older brother I was a Sheriff's deputy...my brother.

He was shot before the dead started to walk and ended up in a coma, and while I was focused on getting to Carl and Lori, Shane, my brother's best friend, said he would go and try to get to him.

He came back and told me he was dead.

I wanted to break down at that moment, I wanted nothing more than for this to be just some horrible dream, but when I looked at Carl's tearful face I knew I had to be strong.

We had packed as much as we could and then loaded up Shane's car, we thought maybe heading towards Atlanta would be the best bet, but it seemed as though everyone and their mothers had the same idea.

The entire highway was backed up, and it was clear no one was going anywhere anytime soon.

I remember that night though, it was the night I realized things were a lot worse than we thought.

It was night, people were all out of their cars, they were talking to others trying to find out what was going on.

I was in the car with Shane, going through the stations to see if we could hear anything.

Carl was playing checker's with a girl around his age, Sophia, her mother Carol was nice, her father, on the other hand, I didn't like, he gave me a weird feeling.

It was also obvious he wasn't the kindest of men, I made a note to keep my eye on him.

The sound of helicopters going by made me peek my head out of the car, I stepped out after that, heading to the front of the car , "Are we gonna go soon?" I heard Sophia ask, "I don't know, baby. I sure hope so." Her mother responded.

Carl took this moment to turn and look at Lori who was sitting on the hood of the car. "I'm hungry." I sighed at this, knowing we didn't bring much. "I know, Carl. We all are." Lori told him, playing with the ring on her necklace.

Carol looked at us all briefly, "Why don't I get him something to eat?" She offered and I sent her a grateful look. "Ed's Into all this survival stuff, we've got enough M.R.E.s to feed a small army" She continued, heading around the car to presumably go get some. "Thank you." I really did appreciate it.

She moved to the side of the car her husband was on and I could see through the windows of the car that he slammed the door when she tried to open it.

I couldn't hear what they were saying but it ended with Carol moving away from him. I shared a look with Lori and I shook my head before leaning against the car.

I watched as Lori moved to the driver's side door to talk to Shane. "You getting anything?" She questioned and he shook his head, "There's nothing." At this, I let out a small scoff, "No surprise there." I muttered, my hand coming up to run through my hair.