iv

the two arrive at a place with a smaller amount of people, but thankfully enough there was a small bench placed in an isolated space.
the two quickly scurry there, wildberry shrinking onto one knee to help crunchy chip dismount his bulky shoulder.
as they sit down awkwardly, crunchy chip tilts his head in curiousity.
'what is that in that weird looking bag? don't tell me you got tempted...'
'well, you might as well say that i did.'
wildberry places the bags onto the bench, taking out the contents.
it looked like a pie, neatly glazed and a baked until it was a perfect golden brown colour.
'it's a herring jelly pie. i bought it for you.'

crunchy chip's expression turns sour, but was slightly flattered for his kindess.
'euh. you bought this?'
'indeed so. it is sweeter than you think. it'll help replenish your energy, too.' he slowly draws his hand closer to crunchy chip who didn't look quite happy.
'sweet?! i mustn't be tempted by these silly "herring jelly pie" as a representative of the dark cacao kingdom..!' he hastily looks away, pushing away wildberry's hand.
wildberry shrugs in response and begins to eat the pie whilst watching the busied streets.
he feels crunchy chip staring directly at the pie, irresistibly savouring its scent.

'whatever... f.. fine! i'll have one, but you better not have poisoned this!' he points firmly, grabbing the portion for his own.
wildberry's hand made the pie look small, but it was surprisingly large for a pie. twisting around the pie gingerly to find an angle to eat, he takes a bite.
astonished, his eyes glitter.
'woah! this is... amazing! its rich texture, the melting taste on your tongue...' he pauses with his mouth still full.
'wait. what?! wildberry, what are you doing to me?'
'i'm not doing anything. it just seems like you enjoy it.' wildberry replies, a chuckle escaping from his mouth.
crunchy chip's eyebrows twitch, quickly snatching the pie and facing a direction wildberry couldn't see his face to eat the rest of it.

'how was it?'
crunchy chip cookie clicks his tongue.
'eurgh. it was horrible.' he begins to fidget with his fingers.
'...but i wouldn't mind eating another one.'
the pair share a laugh, and stand up to finish the rest of the day's mission before dusk.

night breaks quickly as the two got to know each other more whilst on duty, the moon now dancing in the stone slabs of emptied streets. they walked briskly to the place where they first met, the fountains and planted trees gracefully rippling from the light wind that blew in their hair.

'today wasn't too bad.' crunchy chip tries to carry out the last discussion before they seperated.
'yes, it was.'
a small pause.
'so will we meet up here at the same time again tomorrow?'
'of course.'
another pause.
a cold sweat runs down crunchy chip cookie's neck, realising how bad at socialising wildberry actually was.
'well, uhm. goodnight, i guess.' he offers to do the same handshake from this morning. wildberry approaches his hand, but this time does not shake it. both of wildberry's hands sandwich crunchy chip's small hand, accented by a little grin painted on his face.
'thanks for taking care of me.'
'what? that's weird, i'm not your brother. don't sugarcoat it either..'
'just saying. goodnight.'
this time, wildberry's eyes seemed to glitter even more now, as they got closer. before crunchy chip could say something, wildberry tenderly slips away his hands and walks off to head back.

well, it's better to let him rest, he thought to himself.

crunchy chip sat uncomfortably on the bed, a partially filled piece of paper for the day's report and a fountain pen left lying around the satin material.
the thing is, he couldn't concentrate whatsoever, thanks to that damn cookie, wildberry.
all his thoughts was corrupted by him, recent memories of looking directly into his eyes, carrying him on the way back, and... when he held his hand before they left.
they've only known each other for a day or so, but it felt like years.

crunchy chip impatiently flails around the messied duvet, his head hanging from the edge of the bed.

'aarrrgh!' he shouts, picking up a pillow frustratedly and throwing it at the wall.
'who allowed a hollyberrian to be so fucking pretty!?'

crunchy chip looks into the mirror across him in the room. there he was, standing on top of the bed at a late hour, like some sort of lunatic, all because of the thought of a single cookie.

he slumps back in a sitting down position, flushing into the sheets. this definitely isn't like me.
'i hate him so much. he's created a mess out of me, and he doesn't even know.'
he becomes quiet, allowing his memory to flow freely into his mind as he drifts off to sleep.