seven

I was alone at home with Jupiter. My man was away on a buisness trip for a week, he said he would call me later tonight.

Leaving the small blue bowl on the floor, I dropped chunks of food into it. Jupiter, my well trained baby, sat and waited for my command. When I nodded, he rushed forward, all floppy ears and big paws.

Jupiter brought me joy, he was so innocent.

I left my phone on the kitchen counter as I made my own food.

My man was in a slightly different time zone, so I didn't know when he would call. I was determined to stay up though, I was determined to wait for him.

Dinner was dull without him, and I expected the rest of the evening to be as well.

To keep my mind off it all, I retired to the bedroom to study. I had been neglecting my coursework lately but I didn't need for it to show. If my marks dropped even slightly I had no doubt that my parents would drag me back home.

Around nine o' clock my phone rang but it wasn't him. I pouted when I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweets, how are you?"

"I'm okay Hannah. What's up?"

"A bunch of us are getting together for this party thing and I wanted to know if you'd join? C'mon please, you have to!"

"Uh, well -"

"We never see you anymore. You have to come okay. Please!"

[you have another incoming call.]

"Look, I'll call you back Hannah. I've gotta go."

Just as I was about to hang up, I heard some scuffling in the background and a whispered, "Told you she'd say no. Her man is no good for her."

Tears welled in my eyes when I answered his call.

"Hey Baby, I've missed you so much -" He paused, and became very serious. "Are you crying? Shit, did something happen?"

"No, nothing happened. I just missed you is all." My voice cracked when I spoke and I wanted to hide away.

"Aw, its okay my Baby. I'm here for you. I'm sorry I called so late, a meeting went on for ages. The uppers couldn't decide on a shipment method and they borderline fought it out."

His voice was so calm and assured. It soothed me. He spoke like snowfall, in that delicate and brutal way.

I didn't care about what anyone else said. He was my calm, even when everything was upsetting.