eleven

"Baby?!"

"Yes honey?"

"Did you move my ammunition?"

Drying my hands, I walked out of the kitchen. "What ammunition?"

My man groaned, running a hand through his curly hair. It was clear he was tired and more than frustrated. His eyebags' an ode to the sleepless nights. 

Grabbing his coat from the rack, he announced, "I'm going to the docks. I need to check something with the paperwork. Don't wait up for me Baby."

And just like that he was out the door.

Frowning, I stared at the dog waiting by my feet. Jupiter wagged his tail at me, his tongue flopping stupidly out of his mouth. I laughed at the little rascal.

"C'mon boy, daddy's working late today so you get to spend time with momma." Pulling out my textbooks, I made myself confortable on the couch, with Jupiter loyally at my feet.

The hours ticked away as I studied, hoping that he'd be home soon, even though he said not to wait up. Eventually though, my body couldn't take it anymore and I succumbed to sleep.

It must've been three in the morning when I awoke to see my man at the other edge of the couch with a blanket around his shoulders. I smiled as I snuggled closer to him.

"Baby?"

"Mhmm. Let's just sleep."

"Okay Baby." He said, his big arms caging me against him. The warmth of his body seeped into me. I pressed a small kiss against his collar bone before I feel asleep again, this time in his arms.

His work often made me sad, but these small moments with him were enough for me. I needed no apologies. I needed no excuses or justification.

I just needed him.