10. A Good Friend

Lily:

Walking to the diner, I smile up at the clear sunny sky. I grew up somewhere gloomy. No matter how hard the sun tried, the clouds around it never let it shine bright enough. They constricted it, limited its powers and potential. But not here.

"Morning, Maggie!" I greet the beautiful woman once I make my way inside. "You look wonderful today."

"Thank you, dear." She smiles at me.

Looking around, I frown when I don't see my friends. "Where are Charity and Luke?"

"Charity will take the second shift, since you won't be here, and Luke is in the locker room. He seems off today." She shrugs.

The excitement I feel at the reminder of my plan with Colton, Alice and Dave later tonight is short lived when she finishes her sentence. "I'll go find him."

Knocking on the door that says 'employees only' I grab the handle and push it open. My eyes quickly fall on Luke who sits on the ground with a picture in his hand and tears in his eyes. My heart aches for him and I instantly frown.

Since the day I met him, Luke has been nothing but joyful, cheerful. It surprises me to see him so sad. "Luke?"

He looks up at the sound of my voice and hurriedly folds the picture in his hands and shoves it in his back pocket. "Hey, Anne."

"Are you okay?" I ask carefully and he lets out a nervous chuckle that sounds forced.

"I'm fine. Today is just a bad day, that's all." He clears the emotions out of his throat before swallowing, his eyes seeking the floor.

Offering him a sad smile, I step closer and let the door shut behind me. "I'm here if you want to talk about it. I'm a good listener."

And I mean that. Because I can't remember how many times I've cried, wishing that someone other than my therapist would lend me an ear. But no one did, and I had to carry that heavy load all alone. And I don't wish for anyone to go through that. So I'd help if I can.

Luke stares at me for a moment, his blue eyes heavy with sadness, maybe even anger, before he sighs. "Five years ago today, I lost my twin brother. They say time heals, but I'm still waiting."

My heart breaks on the floor of my chest at his words, the too familiar ache resurfacing. "Time doesn't heal wounds like that. We just get used to the pain eventually."

His eyes freeze on mine, as if trying to figure me out and I offer him a piece of the truth. "I know because I lost someone too. Six years ago."

Luke swallows nervously. "Who?"

My hand travels to my necklace and I hold on it tight enough for my fingers to go numb. "My sister. So I know exactly how you feel."

He sighs again before patting the spot next to him on the floor. I take it, and we sit side by side. "Tell me it gets better."

"It gets better, Luke." I say, because it does. Not in my case, not when I have the burning weight of guilt eating at my soul day by day. But for someone like Luke who I'm sure has never committed the sins I have, it will get better.

A few minutes pass in silence before he sighs deeply. "Thank you, Anne. I almost don't feel like bawling my eyes out."

I pout, because I wanted to make him feel a lot better instead of almost better. "I'm sorry I'm not helping much."

"But you are." He nods at me with a sad smile. "You can also help by hanging out with me after our shift tonight. I just don't want to be left alone with my head."