sixteen

+

cat nervously sat on the bench, twiddling her thumbs as cops walked by her, engaged in their own conversations as they walked past. she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, looking around to see if she could find the officer that she spoke with earlier.

she had signed the required legal binding documents that allowed her to be questioned and the paperwork that stated she was okay with being recorded while in the interview room, and now she was just waiting for the cop to interview her to come.

cat received her official notice for an appointment with the lapd on sunday evening. it was now the following wednesday, and jason had dropped her off at the station, telling her that he'll pick her up right after he runs a few errands.

"stay inside the station until i get there," jason warned her as she unbuckled her seatbelt. "text me when you're done and i'll come. don't wait for me in the front or go anywhere."

"ok dad," cat joked, turning her body to face him. there was a small smile on his face before he reached up and cupped her cheek.

"you're going to be okay?"

"yeah, i'll be fine. it's literally the police station, if the murderer is there, i would hope he would be behind bars."

jason laughed, nodding. pulling cat's head towards his, he pressed his lips against hers, and she felt like the world was moving in slow motion as his lips moved against hers.

"i just want to make sure you're safe."

smiling to herself, cat's heart fluttered in her chest, thinking about that interaction with jason. everything felt so right with him, how he treated her, how he talked to her, how he took care of her. she was happy with him, despite everything else that was going on.

"catherine valentine?"

looking up at the officer who called her name, she recognized him as chief thomas, leon's dad. she stood up, adjusting the handbag she had on her shoulder before shaking the chief's hand.

"i go by cat."

"well cat," he said, motioning for her to follow him. he was holding a legal pad, the front page had scribbles of something she couldn't make out even if she tried. "follow me. how's your day going?"

"it was okay. just went to class and studied before coming here."

"that's right, school is still in session. i had suggested the dean to cancel classes for at least the rest of the week, but i guess not even murder can get in the way of education."

he laughed at his own joke, but cat just smiled. the rest of the walk was quiet, cat glancing around the station watching the police officers sitting at their cubicles, taking phone calls or writing in their files.

finally, they reached a door that led to a small room, with a table and two chairs on the opposite sides in the middle, and a little coffee bar against one wall.

"would you like some coffee?" chief thomas offered after indicating her to sit down on the other side of the table, opposite to the door.

"um, sure, i would love some." maybe it could calm down her nerves.

"how many?" chief thomas held up the creamer and sugar bowl.

"two each please."

cat wrapped the white button up she had over her black tank top, feeling exposed in the tiny room. as chief thomas was making her coffee, she looked around the room, making eye contact with the camera mounted in the corner of the ceiling.