nineteen

+

cat stood awkwardly by the wall in the living room, zendaya and miley besides her as they watched wallace students, cop friends of the chief, and other family wander aimlessly around the thomas residence, making small conversation or just doing something to distract from the tension surrounding the household. they were like flies on the wall, securing the most hidden but visible space in the room.

this was so wild. cat couldn't even comprehend the situation. they were just at this house two weeks ago, where another girl was murdered in the same room that the memorial service was set up in. and now the owner of the house - the chief of police's son - was the next victim.

sobbing caught the girls' attention, and they sadly watched as a few family members walked out mrs. thomas, whose bawling cut like a dagger in the silence.

jason and tom stood with their teammates, none of the boys able to say a word as they gathered around their pepper-haired coach, who was giving them a speech that they all knew, including coach braun himself, wasn't going to help and wasn't even going to be remembered later on.

"how is this happening right now?" miley whispered, more to herself than to anyone, but zendaya agreed.

"i can't believe it either."

cat remained quiet, not sure what were the proper words to describe the situation that she didn't already think of. insane, bizarre, bonkers. no word quite fit.

they drank the coffee that was provided, they had already paid respects for leon to his family earlier, and now there was an elongated pause to see when would be a good time to leave.

but no one was really in a rush to go anywhere. the dean of wallace university finally listened to the police and canceled classes after this week. really? after the chief's son dies, then you listen to him?

cat's mind was so far from school. she forgot that she was even in college, with all these events happening. no, all she was focused on was how she was going to support jason. he had been there through all of her rough moments, and now it was her turn to be there for him, for her boyfriend, and she didn't even know what to do.

chattering from the group breaking caught cat's attention, and they looked over to see jason and tom make their way over to them.

"hey," miley said, giving jason a small hug before turning to give tom one. the boys returned her embrace before making their way over to cat and zendaya, respectively.

"where's gigi?" tom asked, leaning against the wall in the middle of zendaya and cat.

"she had a midterm that she couldn't miss, so she's meeting us here after. she's catching a ride with kendall and hailey."

"i thought school was temporarily canceled," jason sipped on the coffee that cat gave him, immediately feeling the caffeine due to the lack of sleep he's been getting.

"yeah, but this class only grades the midterm and final, so they had to at least take the midterm, just in cause the rest of the quarter somehow gets canceled."

"do you really think they're going to cancel classes for two months?" miley stepped in closer towards the group as more people walked in and out of the room.

cat shrugged, automatically grabbing onto jason's hand once he threw away his drink. "with the rate of these murders, who knows? the police aren't any closer to finding out who's doing it, and now the chief's son is a victim."

"so the cops are going to be more focused on him rather than the others," zendaya whispered, not wanting any of the cops in the room to hear her comment.