Chapter the Eleventh: A Clandestine Conversation

Whilst Marjorie finished cleaning the living room for the arrival of Magnolia and Montague, she had been planning how she could approach Montague to discuss all which she had discovered in the bedroom of Leavitt, but unfortunately, all methods of discussing her discoveries relied upon him excusing himself. Montague was a purposeful man to the extent that all aside from his goals would go forgotten, and Marjorie had heard tales of how he would leave the bathwater running until the bath transformed into a waterfall which would drench the bathroom tiles, for he had busied himself with architecture and forgotten about the bath! Marjorie hoped that the investigation into the peculiar behaviour of Leavitt had taken an important position amongst his goals otherwise it may be several days until they met again.

Into the kitchen Marjorie went to prepare the tea for when the outrageous couple would arrive. Leavitt had locked himself in his room, and Marjorie suspected that he was once again plotting dreadful occurrences, which he indeed was. But alas, she could not enquire as to whether Leavitt was alright, for she knew that preparing the tea was of utmost importance at this moment. Oh, how she wished she could bring him downstairs so that she may keep an eye on him...

Just as she poured the contents of the kettle into the teapot, there was a cheerful-sounding knock on the door. The couple would never fail to arrive punctually. She made her way towards the front door and opened it, and was duly greeted by a beaming Magnolia.

"Hello, Marjorie!" chirped Magnolia, cradling George in an appropriate manner. "How are you?"

"I am in excellent spirits," said Marjorie with a smile, though she wished to pull the woman aside and chastise her for allowing Montague to care for her children in such an outrageous manner. Magnolia seemed aware of her latent resentment, for she delivered a somewhat peculiar glance to her.

Montague stood with a melancholy child sandwiching him from either side. His forearms were elevated as though he were a Tyrannosaurus rex. As he stood in this peculiar posture, he once again stared directly into Marjorie's soul, causing her to feel thoroughly unsettled.

Behind Magnolia and Montague were Winnie, Hazel, and Polly, and the three girls were chasing one another through the brambles and squealing. Winnie, the youngest of the three girls, tripped over the brambles, and fought the tears which gathered in her eyes.

"What a baby," chortled Polly, and she and Hazel burst into transports of laughter as Polly began to weep.

"POLLY AND HAZEL!" screamed Magnolia. "APOLOGISE TO YOUR SISTER IMMEDIATELY!"

The two girls begrudgingly apologised to Winnie.

"And all three of you! Please do not run through the brambles!"

"Sorry, Magnolia," all three girls muttered.

Marjorie realised that she must inform Leavitt that his friends had arrived, and so she told Magnolia and Montague, "I shall bring Leavitt. Please make yourself at home and I shall bring you cups of tea shortly," and made her way upstairs. She knocked on Leavitt's door and told him, "Magnolia and Montague have arrived!"

Leavitt swung his bedroom door open. Though his eyebrows were furrowed as though he were deep in thought as he opened the door, he expeditiously removed this expression from his countenance as though the expression itself was incriminating. As he made his way downstairs without a word, Marjorie meekly followed him, though she knew that his current thought processes contained the reasons for his peculiar behaviour, and for the dress and makeup which he had hidden in his wardrobe. Could it be that he was a homosexual who would dress as a woman in order to engage in homosexual affairs? He was a dreadfully outrageous and impractical gentleman, but surely he would have the sense not to engage in such dreadful affairs as THIS?