4 ✽ Reunion

The place Yul brought her turned out to be a closed store. The lights were out and there was no one in there except them and their guards. An assortment of merchandise, such as potteries, hairpins, and paintings, was placed neatly on each row of shelves. This place looked newly constructed, with no speck of dirt and mould lurking in the corners or worn out furniture.

A sudden thought sprang to Eun-bi's mind. "Oh! Are we investigating a corrupted officer?" She rubbed her hands together eagerly and pulled up her sleeves. "This is exciting! I can't wait to kick a villain's buttocks!"

She tapped the closest guard on the shoulder and gestured towards his sword hanging by his side. "Lend me your weapon and stay back! Do not steal my moment of fame."

He appeared confused until an amused Yul interrupted her by threading his fingers through hers. "No one's getting killed today," he assured her. "This isn't a business trip."

"Oh," she said, not hiding her disappointment. "Then why are we here?"

"This way." Yul pulled her along with him until they reached the back of the store where light was slipping through the gap of curtains that were a riot of russet and yellow colours. "There are people who are waiting to meet you."

"Who?"

Eun-bi glanced at Yul's expression as he parted the curtains for her to reveal a small, neat office. Just the way he almost smiled gave her a hint of what was lurking inside.

Her anticipation soared immensely. Was this the place where she thought she was? "It can't be—"

When they stepped into the room, polite bows greeted them. Yoo-jung's bright, beaming smile came towards Eun-bi, and a tight embrace attacked her.

"Eun-bi! I miss you!"

"My dearest sister? And Hyun-jun?" Eun-bi's eyes ran over Yoo-jung's shoulder and across the familiar faces before settling on the delicious spread of dinner on the banquet table they had already prepared. "And food?!"

Hyun-jun, who used to be one of Yul's guards, had already resigned from his position in the palace. He was now recreating his new life in the capital and fulfilling a dream of his—to be a business owner.

He laughed at her drooling expression. "I wasn't certain what dishes Your Highnesses would love to eat, so I have gotten our cooks to prepare more than necessary. Your sister assured us you aren't fussy and would eat everything."

"And she's not wrong!" Eun-bi exclaimed happily. "I'm famished from walking all day!"

It felt ages ago since she last saw them—her favourite group of people—even though they dropped by the outer palace for occasional visits. She missed conversing with them on any subject as long as they wouldn't dive into the history of Joseon or etiquettes of a woman.

"Congratulations, Hyun-jun! You're finally a business owner!"

She hadn't seen him look as proud as this moment before. "The shop is opening the day after tomorrow," he smiled, "and I would like to fulfil our promise."

"To be your first customer? Gladly!" she chirped. "I can't believe you remembered what I said."

"And miss the opportunity of getting on the future Crown Princess's good side? I would be a fool to do that."

Eun-bi chuckled at his statement. "That's my friend."

As Yoo-jung guided them to the table, she suddenly realised that someone was missing in this gathering. "Where's Jung-ho?"

Jung-ho was best friends with Yul. He was also Hyun-jun's older brother and Yoo-jung's love interest.

"He's out surveying because he wanted to check the security of this place," Yoo-jung explained. "But he should be back soon to join us for dinner."