26 ✽ In Disguise

Accountant Cha rounded the garden briskly, before disappearing to the back of the courtesan house. His expression was tense instead of his usual smiling self, seemingly as if something troubled him.

In his hands, he carried a small, white sack—but Eun-bi couldn't make out what it exactly was.

Where was he running off in such a hurry?

Eun-bi leaped to her feet, eager to chase after him. However, she accidentally toppled over the wine flask on her table and spilled on Jin-hee's clothes. Earning a little squeak of surprise from her lips.

The noise caught the attention of a passing courtesan, who had been serving tea to the other customers. Her feet came to an abrupt stop. She turned around and her shocked eyes met the girls, who froze in their positions.

"A woman's voice...?"

Eun-bi and Jin-hee froze in their spots, eyes wide with fear.

This was it.

This was the moment where their plan would fall apart.

If their lies were revealed to the public, they would be thrown out of the courtesan house. This would disrupt their investigation and possibly alert Accountant Cha that they had been tailing him.

The courtesan continued scrutinising their appearances from head to toe. Confused and at a loss. Clearly, she was contemplating how she should deal with them.

"Who are you?"

Jin-hee's cheeks flushed red with embarrassment. She made a panicking noise, before turning towards Eun-bi with a helpless look. Begging for help.

In a split second, Eun-bi stepped forward to resolve the misunderstanding, but not in the way anyone would have imagined.

"It wasn't my idea." She lied with an innocent expression, keeping her voice low only for only the courtesan's ears. She jabbed a thumb in Jin-hee's direction. "It's my dear friend here who suggested it."

Blood drained from Jin-hee's face at the false accusation. "W-what?!" she squeaked. "Me?"

However, Eun-bi continued her story-telling. "Her husband has been coming home late for the past few weeks and people have witnessed him entering this place," she explained. "We're waiting out here to confirm that suspicion. Please. Will you be kind enough to help us and keep our identities a secret? We promise not to cause any trouble."

She pleaded in desperation while secretly nudging Jin-hee with her foot, urging the girl to mimic her actions.

Together, they formed a miserable pair of ladies, hoping to persuade the courtesan to not report them.

It worked. There was a flash of conflict in those wavering eyes as they flickered between the girls before the courtesan finally gave a nod.

Out of goodwill, she had decided not to rat them out to her colleagues.

"I'll help, but only on a condition." She fixed her stare on Jin-hee. "If you meet your husband, you must not cause a scene here. Not even a fight. Bring it out of here if you must."

Flummoxed, Jin-hee tried to explain herself again, but Eun-bi slapped a hand over her mouth to silence her. "Thank you, sister! We truly appreciate your help. You're incredibly kind!"

Her display of appreciation took the courtesan by surprise, who bit on her bottom lip. Her voice came out small and quiet. "The both of you're incredibly lucky that you met me instead. If it were the others, they would have already kicked you out of this place. No courtesans would enjoy seeing someone's wife skulking on their premises and picking fights."