27 ✽ Into the Past

Eun-bi ripped her hat off and freed her hair, shaking them loose. Every day, the courtesans fitted large, elaborate wigs in their hairstyle. Since that was difficult to recreate, she simply pulled her hair into a messy braid.

She rifled through the chests for a suitable dress, unable to stop herself from grimacing at how horrifyingly floral they looked.

Whoever made these dresses seemed determined to turn women into walking flower shrubs.

She believed that if she wore any of them, she could camouflage herself in the bushes. This way, the enemy would never spot her.

Letting out a snort, she picked out the most hideous dress she could find and changed her clothes quickly. The box of cosmetics sat innocently on the dressing table full of hand mirrors and hair pins.

However, she decided against putting makeup on her face. She didn't trust her own skills, knowing she would turn herself into something worse than a clown if she came close to touching any of the powders and red rouge.

Once she was ready, she set off with the wine tray in her hands. Wandering between rustic houses and peeking into each room.

Most were unlit and locked. Muffled voices came from a few rooms, but Eun-bi held herself against the walls, holding her breath and tucking in her belly as she listened in on their conversations. The moment felt comical, especially when she heard the courtesans complain about old drunkards and whom they should embarrass next.

Unfortunately, none of them were Accountant Cha. She scurried from one room to the next, but they were cold and empty.

That was, until the sound of a zither playing reached her ears.

She stopped in her tracks, listening intently once more to check that it wasn't her imagination. The melody, though faint, sounded familiar because she had heard from somewhere.

As she searched for the source, coming close to the corner section of the quarters when shoes ground against the gravel.

A female's voice barked fiercely at Eun-bi's back. "Who's there?!"

Half turning, Eun-bi met the eyes of a plump, middle-aged woman who was most likely the watcher of this place.

She gave a nervous smile. "Good evening?"

Hands on her hips, the woman squinted at Eun-bi's face. "You're not one of ours. Get out!"

Cursing under her breath, Eun-bi abandoned her wine tray on the ground and bolted off. Even without turning around, she knew she was in pursuit. Angry footsteps followed her. However, she kept running around in circles and flailing her arms wildly.

To her, it was like a chase between a dog and a bird. She leaped over plant pots and ducked under low ceilings and boughs. Hoping to shake the watcher off her tail.

The older woman's pace slowed as she panted loudly, her appearance dishevelled.

She gritted through her teeth. "Get... Back... Here..."

Before she finished her sentence, Eun-bi was gone. Streaking across the ground like a leopard. She crouched behind huge earthenware crocks, rolling and ducking from one to the other in order to hide from the strange woman.

Down the narrow path, she spotted her escape route. Someone left the door to the last room open.

If there was anything lurking in there, Eun-bi wouldn't know.

But between a crazy woman and an opened door, she would pick the latter.

She bolted for the room, slamming the door close and setting the lock in place. Her breath held as she waited for the crazy woman to pass, listening to her fading footsteps.