Epilogue

In the early morning, Eun-bi paid a visit to the dungeon.

The palace guard led her to a prison cell where Accountant Cha had spent the night in. Unlike before, he was now dressed in plain-looking clothes and laid on thin straw mats that would probably put him through chilly nights.

But despite his imprisonment, he looked at ease, freed from the shackles of his past.

Through the wooden bars, Eun-bi cleared her throat to get his attention. "Did you get a good sleep, Account–no–Ye-joon?"

Her voice jolted him awake. He sat up quickly and turned around to meet his guest. The memories from the night before ran through his mind again—her hitting him in the face.

He chuckled, and then grimaced at the huge, purple bruise along his jaw. "You really know how to throw a good punch, Your Highness."

She smirked in contentment. "Have you come to your senses now? Or shall I throw another punch to the other side of your face? It'll be a matching set."

The thought shuddered him. "I'll decline that offer. I don't want you breaking my jaw or my handsome face."

A smile twitched her lips. She should not be this amused with him, but she preferred him this way to the scheming man he once was.

"I came here to inform you about your mother," Eun-bi explained. "She will be in excellent hands. I've assigned the best physician in the capital to have a look at her illness and prescribe her with medicine."

He seemed rather taken aback. "Thank you," he breathed. "You didn't have to do that, so why?"

Eun-bi frowned at his strange question. "Of course, I do. Even if you were a terribly annoying man in the past who robbed my money, your mother is an innocent woman with a wonderful character. You made her cry so badly, and it is my duty to care for such people." She shook a finger at him. "You should learn a thing or two from me."

He looked extremely amused. "I'm learning."

"Good." Crouching on the floor, she crossed her hands over her knees, meeting his eyes at the same level. "You've helped catch the man who wanted me dead. Nevertheless, the fact that you stole the nation's funds remained. Their whereabouts are still currently unknown–"

He spoke up immediately. "That's because they're used to finance the rebels' operations."

"Oh," she answered in surprise. This went easier than she expected, because this time, he was willing to speak to her honestly. "How did you get to know them?"

He closed his eyes, guilt reflecting on his face. "It's because I wandered on the streets often when I was a child," he explained. "I met many people and got involved in wicked deeds. I was a terrible child growing up."

Eun-bi considered it carefully. "Well, not if you change yourself. If you help us again, the King will grant you a lighter sentence."

Ye-joon sat up straighter, listening intently. An unfathomable emotion flickered in his eyes. "He doesn't want to execute me for treason? I'm part of the rebel group."

She shrugged. "Not yet, but he might if you step on his toes again. The King is a reasonable man if you're willing to talk and be honest. Some people deserve a second chance."

He winced at himself. "Do you think I deserve it, too?"

"Yes." There was no hesitation in her words. "I think you're one of them. Your displaced anger made you lose sight of yourself temporarily. I hope you'll be able to move from the past and find a new purpose in life. You could leave who you once were and learn to love yourself a little."