20 ✽ Gossip

When Accountant Cha offered to help Eun-bi, he kept to his promise.

He conducted another lesson, but this time, the subject appealed heavily to the ladies–musical arts. Through his connections, he borrowed several musical instruments for them to learn; a skill that gisaengs would master and used to entertain guests at the courtesan houses.

However, he began teaching them it meant more than that—it was art to the ears. A guidance to inner peace.

And what was more surprising next was how he shocked them with his impressive skills.

His fingers flew across the strings, producing a set of beautiful notes. The faces on the noblewomen turned dreamy, clearly smitten by his talent, handsome looks and winsome smiles. His words, honeyed and effortless, brought them crawling to his feet. Begging for more of his time and attention.

Eun-bi, however, simply shook her head at their reactions. They looked absurd; overly giddy and excited. But she felt at ease knowing that their plan was working. The noblewomen showed immense interest in learning subjects that they weren't allowed in the past.

And this was all credited to Accountant Cha. She acknowledged his efforts were commendable. During his class, his sincerity poured through his teaching, which slowly made her question herself if she had been too mean to him before.

Never mind.

Lifting her shoulders into a shrug, she returned her attention to the zither on the table before her, plucking at the strings haphazardly.

This was the first time in her life holding an instrument in her hands. It felt rather...strange and confusing. She wasn't quite certain if this lesson was all about teaching her how to play music or trying to rip her poor nails off.

Her sister chuckled when the notes that Eun-bi played screeched loudly, causing everyone in the hall to wince. "Stop glaring at it, Eun-bi. You should treat this zither gently. Pretend that it's a newborn."

"A newborn?" Eun-bi frowned and tested a few more notes, which sounded very much like a rooster screaming murder into the night. How was it that the instrument was protesting against her too? "Oh yes, this sounds like a newborn screaming."

Yoo-jung choked on her laughter. "No! That's not what I was trying to say."

Footsteps approached, and a shadow fell over them. When Eun-bi glanced up, she realised it was just Accountant Cha.

He took in the chaotic scene that was happening at her table. "Do you require my help, Your Highness?"

"No, I'm definitely–" But the string she was plucking broke suddenly and a loud snapping sound reverberated in the hall. "–in control here. Yes, I am."

He sounded amused. "Are you certain about that?"

Eun-bi snorted and pushed herself from the zither. "Maybe this isn't for me. My talent lies elsewhere."

"And that is?"

"Eating." Eun-bi squared her shoulders proudly as she grinned. "I can bet you'll never see a lady who eats as much as I do. If you don't believe me, ask my maids or my sister." She nudged Yoo-Jung's shoulder lightly. "Isn't that right?"

Her sister grew appalled. "Stop mentioning food, or you'll get yourself hungry again—" Coincidentally, a small rumble came from Eun-bi's stomach. "—see what I mean?"

They laughed in unison. "So, where did you learn how to play instruments that well?" Eun-bi asked him.

Her question caught him off guard, and she noticed how his tone held a tinge of caution. "I...came from a poor family. It was just some skills that I picked up on the streets when I was a child."