31 ✽ From the Shadows

Three days passed as slow as dew falling from leaves. After months of a busy schedule, it felt strange for a Crown Princess to suddenly be unoccupied with her duties.

Eun-bi took full advantage of this opportunity; taking her naps, eating snacks, and reading adventure novels as much as she wanted. Who knew when her next chance would be?

However, she soon became restless. Most of the activities she enjoyed went far beyond the boundaries of this room. She missed nature, her family, her cheeky Bo-mi, and her endearing husband.

Later on, she tossed and turned in bed, staring up at the ceiling mindlessly. She counted the number of squares and rectangles in the latticed windows. She even resorted to doing something she was horribly untalented at—embroidering the face of Bo-mi on a yellow silk handkerchief. It took her several hours to complete it. Her fingers throbbed in pain, but she felt a sense of achievement.

She appraised her finished work; her face soon turning into a deep frown.

Why did her horse resembled more like a dog instead?

Was her skills really that bad?

But it wouldn't matter. She would still give this to her husband as a present, and she knew he wouldn't mind. After all, it was her sincerity that mattered the most.

Despite busying herself with these activities, time seemed to pass even slower. She missed hearing voices around her, especially Yul's.

She wondered what he was doing. Was he doing well? Or had his anger razed the rest of the palace to the ground?

What about Accountant Cha? For such a psychotic man, she hoped he was rotting in the dungeons. She wished the rodents there would annoy him as much as he annoyed her.

She scoffed at the thought of him. Picking up her pillow, she pretended it was his face and began punching at it to quell her anger. It was her way of practising and readying herself before their next encounter.

His motive remained unclear, his actions unpredictable to all. It was disconcerting to have such a man remain in the palace, because she wasn't certain what he could do next.

She mumbled some expletives under her breath, racking her brains for any plausible explanation, until strange, loud noises caught her attention.

There were a series of explosions, muffled shouts and scurrying coming from the outside. Startled, Eun-bi went straight to the door, placing her ear against the surface.

"Court Lady Kim? Byeol? Are you there? What's happening outside?"

A voice came through. "Do not worry, Your Highness," Court Lady Kim reassured her. "A small fire broke out somewhere in the palace. Please stay inside while I go look."

"A fire?" Eun-bi frowned. Why would there be one suddenly?

She turned towards the window and pushed it open. Towards the western side of the palace, flames ravaged the roof, turning the inky sky in a crimson red.

Court Lady Kim was wrong. That wasn't a small fire. It was bigger than she thought.

Eun-bi could hear the commotion arising; the servants alerting others, and the guards rushing to put out the fire.

Whatever was going on, she prayed hard that there would not be any casualties in this incident.

The tall shadow of a guard stood stiffly outside her room, right by her window. "Officer Hyong? Are you sleeping while standing?" she called out. "Don't stand there so rigidly. I'm not planning to run away."

He moved closer to her. "Your Highness," he whispered, placing a hand on the hilt of his sword. His eyes searched around them worriedly. "Something doesn't feel right. Please remain inside and keep your dagger by your side at all times. The Crown Prince told me to keep you safe whenever such an odd situation arises."