imagine eleven: max mayfield

here's a short and happy one
this is just a refresher bc i will be back
writing my usual sad imagines after 🤭

freshman year was everything you didn't imagine it would be. while you knew you and your friends all ran in different crowds, you didn't think it would take high school for everyone to realize that.

lucas and max both broke up in the beginning of the year which you could tell left them both unbothered. while lucas became a player on their basketball team, max became an outcast. you would see her occasionally but she did everything in her ability to avoid you.

you didn't understand at first because you two used to be the closest out of the party but once lucas and her began to date; she stopped talking to you. except when she asked you to hang out a couple of times with her and el last summer that led to the starcourt battle.

you thought that maybe being in a relationship kept her from hanging out with you as much as she used to, but it actually didn't because she still never talked to you when you knew her and lucas were broken up.

you were now a loner. while mike and dustin still kept in touch with you, it wasn't the same anymore.

as you were walking down the cafeteria, you heard your name being called. turning around you saw dustin waving you over; mike covering his face in embarrassment. you gave them a puzzled glance while hesitantly making your way over. the way the rest of the table watched your movements didn't brush past you.

"y/n, why don't you sit with us?" dustin offered with a huge smile, making you wonder if this was another trick to get you to join the hellfire club.

"henderson," you heard eddie say under his breath, only making it even more awkward for you. "i don't know if you've noticed but this table is for club members only."

you never got along with eddie. actually, you didn't know why until you realized that you may had been a lot bitchier toward him than you meant to be.

dustin had tried to explain to him that you were just naturally sarcastic, but that didn't stop eddie from trying his all to give you the same attitude back. which is why when you once offered to help fill in on a campaign for lucas, eddie continuously said no—there have been multiple times.

"it's fine, really, dustin," you gave him a smile before narrowing your eyes at eddie. "sorry to see you've got your panties in a twist, munson."

"see, funny." dustin spoke in your defense, making you assume that they were discussing about you beforehand.

"alright, y/n, you've convinced me," eddie leaned back in his seat, examining you with judgement. "i'll let you join hellfire for the sake of your two boyfriends."

mike began to blush at the nickname while dustin froze, not knowing where this would lead. you could be extremely rude when you wanted and they both were afraid this would be that moment.

but you weren't exactly thinking much about eddie's words because you saw max getting up to leave. you usually chose to avoid her but something was pushing you to follow her. maybe it was to get out of this weird conversation, but either way, you listened.

"sorry, boys, but i've got better things to do," you denied his one time offer which you probably would've accepted if you weren't so stubborn. "maybe next time, yeah?"