imagine fifteen: max mayfield (spoilers)

this one is short and sad 🤭🤭
i wanted to write about when everyone
met with each other after everything
happened since we didn't really see it
you're with dustin and eddie btw bc i needed
more heartbreak

the whole world was still.

all you could hear was the sound of dustin's sobs that were being muffled by eddie's body. tears slid down from your eyes in silence, frozen in shock.

you were afraid to look down to face the bloody mess of what used to be eddie munson. what used to be. the phrase felt like poison on your tongue. what he could have been was another.

as the upside down began to shake, you held onto dustin for support while he continued to cry. you weren't sure he was aware of the earthquake. from the distance, you swore you could hear a clock chiming.

but that couldn't be.

you must have been hallucinating. that would mean that max mayfield, the girl you were supposed to protect but decided last minute to leave with dustin and eddie to distract the bats, was dead.

it wasn't true. you were just imagining things.

with eddie's lifeless body still laying in front of you, you were sure that some sort of distress was causing you some sort of dysfunction.

even the aching coming from the wrist you were sure was broken from landing on it when you fell to help dustin catch up with eddie, you could feel nothing.

maybe guilt for not being fast enough to help aid eddie in his sudden heroism. or at least the wounds he received from it. but that much was obvious.

"dustin," you whispered out hoarsely, not even being able to recognize your raspy voice. "dustin, we have to go."

"no," he snapped, not loudly but loud enough to cause you to flinch at his outburst. "he's dead, y/n. eddie's dead. it doesn't matter anymore."

"dustin, please," you told him desperately, letting tears fall down your cheeks. "you have to let him go."

dustin shook his head, pulling eddie's body closer to him as he held onto it as if it would bring him back to life. you watched, sadly. you watched as you saw your best friend break down with nothing to do.

it stayed this way for only a couple more seconds until you heard footsteps coming from behind you. sharply, you turned around to see steve, nancy and robin walking toward you with defeat written all over their faces.

they couldn't see eddie's dead body as you hid it but when they got closer, steve stopped in his tracks.

nancy paused, her mouth falling open as a tear fell down her cheek. of course she was upset over eddie but she was more so upset with the news she was going to have to break to you about max.

"shit." robin said under her breath.

dustin continued to cry as steve kneeled down beside him, patting his shoulder. the younger boy fell into his grasp as steve held onto him, rubbing his head. steve felt himself grow sick at the sight of eddie, hiding his face in dustin's curls.

nancy kneeled down to you, stroking your cheek as she checked for any injuries. she could've sworn you hadn't move a muscle since you turned to look at them.

it made this all whole lot harder.

"y/n..." nancy whispered.

"eddie's dead, nance," you muttered under your breath, feeling her wipe a tear that fell out. "i watched him die in front of me."

"i know," nancy nodded, feeling the tears in her eyes beginning to build up. "y/n... max– she..."

"what?" you questioned, looking up to make eye contact with her. "nancy, what happened?"

"four chimes." the girl explained, her voice cracking as she bit her lip to contain her tears.

you looked up at robin, as if you needed her to confirm your suspicion. the said girl wasn't even looking at you, instead at the ground, afraid to face you.

you began to shake your head, "no."

"y/n..." robin whispered.

"no!" you said, a lot louder this time, which caught steve and dustin's attention. "she– she's not dead. she– she can't– she can't be dead. no."

"i know," nancy nodded, a single tear sliding down her left cheek. "i'm sorry."

"steve," you turned to look at him. "tell them. tell them she can't be dead. please, steve."

dustin moved away from him, as if to give him the space to move over to you. steve looked at you sadly, confirming their statement as the truth.

you looked back at eddie, blood still dripping down his mouth as if it were drool. you stared at him until it all began to feel real to you. that you would never see eddie again and now you would never see max again.

"that's not fair," you cried out, the tears beginning to come out a lot more profusely. "max and eddie– they can't..."

steve pulled you in his embrace which is where you completely lost it. you cried loudly into his chest as he began to cradle you in his arms. you even felt him kiss the top of your head as if it would heal all the pain you were going through.

but it couldn't and it never would.

ik max isn't in it but it's more
so the idea of her being gone and stuff so
IM SORRY OKAY IM REALLY SORRY
PLS FORGIVE ME FOR THIS