Chapter 23 - A Whole New Me

Scooping up the last of her bowl, Yang slammed it down, taking a deep breath. "Man, that was so good! But, boy, it feels good to just take it easy for one day."

"I can agree with that," Blake whispered fondly. "Taking a break is good."

"See, you get it now!" She shouts, wrapping her arm around Blake. "I'm surprised they still went along with the festival, though, all considering."

"Well, why wouldn't they?" Weiss pointed out. "The big bad threat is defeated, and Atlas is here; only an idiot would dare attack now."

"We didn't do anything," Ruby mumbled, looking spooked.

Weiss raised an eyebrow, confused. "What do you mean we didn't do anything? We stopped the White Fang and Bargaining."

"That was all Y/N; as he said, none of us stood a chance against the five stages of grief. I know I could hold a candle to Y/N's power."

"You underestimate yourself, don't worry so much about such small details; that's why we're here, right? To get stronger." Yang added.

"There's more, though..."

"Right you are." Iris pointed out, whispering in Ruby's ear. The girls jumped back, startled by the sudden appearance of the stage of grief Acceptance. "There's still Depression and Anger; both are quite something. Very different to Bargaining's crude methods."

"What are you doing here? You told Y/N you were leaving Vale." Weiss stated, on edge.

Iris smiled, tilting her head. "There is no need for such concerns; we are here thanks to the death of Bargaining; we're here to pay our respects."

"Respects? That monster tried killing us and half the city."

"We're not here to pay our respects to Bargaining," Ivy replied, sitting on the opposite side of the stall and sipping on her food. "Bargaining was a lost cause; desperate to discard his own flaws; he ended up losing sight of the future."

"As my sister put it, neither of us liked the one called Wolfgang; we tolerated his corrupted, single-minded attitude long enough. If Y/N didn't put him down, we would have eventually." Iris insisted with the same blank smile. "Speaking of, where can we find our beloved brother? We have much to discuss."

"Guess you didn't get the memo then? He quit." Yang pointed out, flipping a chopstick around. "About two weeks ago."

"Quit? As in life?"

"No, sister, why would Y/N kill himself?" Iris sighed. "I expected something like this, mind you; I wasn't expecting it so soon. Y/N isn't the one to work well as a team. His time under the white fang as their assassin was evidence enough."

"You knew about Y/N's past?" Blake questioned.

"Why, of course, we know everything about Y/N. Like how his powers work, how he killed your mother and who his master is now." Ivy said boldly like a proud child.

"How?" Ruby whispered, looking annoyed.

"Our powers hold the key." That was the only thing the twins said. "We can see we've overstayed our welcome. Let us be off and see how our brother is holding up."

****

Staring out the window overlooking the festival, I pressed my head against the glass, letting the world pass me by. I saw people happy, crowds enjoying the peace. "You didn't pull me aside just for a coffee and a chat now, did you, Ozpin? What do you want?"

I turned around, staring at Ozpin as he finished making his drink, nodding. "Yes, I wanted to go over a few things. More specifically, this."

Holding up a piece of paper, I folded my arms, not giving away anything. "Can you not read Ozpin? I think the letter speaks for itself?"