college

it was may, meaning, high school only had a few weeks left, you, of course were nervous, but what was really nerve wracking was getting into college. of course you had signed up for many many colleges, including your dream college (insert dream college here lmao), there was no way you would fail...but, what really worries you, is the future itself. i mean how could it not?!

anyway, you were sure this was your year, well, yours and eddie's. this was gonna be finally the year he graduated, you knew that for sure. him? not so much. in this very moment you both found yourselves watching TV in his trailer, not really paying attention but...what is there to do?

"i'm just saying, would it be THAT big of a deal if i just didn't graduate?" he asked, narrowing his eyes.
you stared at him, a kind of look that says 'are you really this crazy or are you just pretending?'
"eddie you're not gonna just not graduate. think about your uncle! how much has he had to work in order for you to go to school?" you tried to resonate with him.
he rolls his eyes. "i mean- yes but-"
"no. no buts. plus, you are gonna graduate, you hear me?" you say, menacingly pointing your index finger at your boyfriend.
"yes, mom" he jokes in a flat tone.

after a few seconds of staring blankly at the TV, he speaks again; "when are you going to hear back from the colleges?"
"in about two weeks" you respond, not looking at him.
he nods.
"why?"
"oh it's nothing it's just..."
you turn to look at him. waiting for him to finish the sentence.
"it's just that...never mind." he shakes his head, clearly wanting to say something but choosing not to.

"c'mon eddie what is it?" you furrow your eyebrows, what does he wanna say?!
"when the time comes...what if the college you're going to...is not here, in hawkins?" he asks, real concern in his eyes.
"what is there to do?" you ask, confused.
"i mean, what will happen to us?" he finally confesses.
"i'll take you with me! you can be my plus one, maybe we can find a nice little cheap department off campus, what do you think?" you ask, smiling.
"i'd love that so much sweetheart, you have no idea...but, what if i don't graduate?" he says, you can notice the sadness in his words.
"eddie you are going to-"
"but what if i don't? i mean, you don't know for sure..." he interrupts.

you sigh. understating his fear of not graduating, but there was no way! he had worked pretty hard all year to finally graduate. you knew this, but how could you convince him?

"look, if and only if you don't graduate, which...won't happen, i'll stay here, wait a year." you shot him a sympathetic look.
"no. no you can't do that." he says, quite firm.
"what do you mean i can't do that?" you ask, your eyebrows furrowing once again.
"i mean i cannot let you do that. you can't stay simply because i'm an idiot who can't graduate". he stands up, frustration written across his face.
you stare at him. did he actually think you were gonna just leave him here alone?

"don't...don't look at me like that." he says, throwing his head back while rubbing his temple.
"i'm just...impressed that's all. i mean, this is only hypothetical." you stand up as well.
"okay, but what if it's not? hm? what if i do not graduate? what then? are you really gonna wait until i-"
"yes!" you interrupt. "i will wait, eddie"
"no, no you won't." he stubbornly says, crossing his arms.
"yes, i will. i don't see why this is a discussion." you put your hands on either side of your hips.
"because it's a very real possibility!" he says, his tone a bit harsh.
"you don't know that. plus, you worked pretty damn hard all year, didn't you?" you ask.

you weren't mad, no way, it just was surprising how little faith this man had on himself.

"i mean...yeah but what if that's not enough?" he says, this time his tone softer than it had ever been.
"it will be. i promise." you step closer to where he was. "and if it just doesn't go according to plan. i will stay." you step even closer, feeling-his-breathing kind of close.
"you won't." he uncrossed his arms.
"i will. and it's not gonna change a thing whether you want me here or not. i will wait. it's gonna take a lot more to get rid of me." you state, touching his cheek with your right hand.
"you won't let it go will you?" he laughs. caressing the hand that was on his cheek.
"never. you know i'm very stubborn." you smile, then, finally closing the gap between the two of you.