Chapter 9 Nice to See You Again

Adrien's  POV:  

         I ran to the airport. I could not wait for her arrival. 

         I last saw Marinette the day we graduated from high school together.

         Funny how things have changed so much over the years.

         I hope she will recognize me. I look way different than I did back then. I have gotten used to my style. Plus, I wear reading glasses. I have a pet hamster. It was a gift from Nino. Alya could not handle rodents. I stood a few inches taller than when she last saw me. My hair had darkened a bit too. Now it was a sandy blond. Oh, well, I cannot wait to see her.

        I wait patiently for the plane to arrive. I check my watch. 

        I hope she still likes green tea with a hint of lime. I suppose I will find out soon enough.

      As I wait, I read a book but must have dozed off. I awaken to someone tapping my shoulder.

        "A-Adrien Agreste?"

        I look up to see this adorable bluenette with bluebell eyes in a pink dress with white polka dots and matching shoes. 

       "Marinette?"

      "Yes, silly!  Gosh, it has been ages."

       "I was going to say the same thing."

     "How was your flight?"

     "It was great, thanks."

       "I see you have a new dress there. Did you design it?"

     "Yes, I sure did.  Do you like it?"

       "What is not to like?  You are amazing, Marinette!"

          I see her blush. I think to myself, so beautiful.

         "Here, I hope you still drink this."

         "Yes, as a matter of fact, I do."

            Marinette drank the tea as I glanced her over.  She was taller by two inches than I remembered, but I was still taller than her.  It seemed she had grown more lovely with time.

             "So, Marinette, how did you know you had feelings for me?"

              I saw her blush and bow her head as if ashamed.  I wait for her to look up.

             "I knew the moment we grazed hands when you gave me the umbrella. Also, when you took notice of my designs, danced with me, and so on."

              I admit I was amazed by her proclamation despite the letter.  It was as if she affirmed the words in the postcard itself.

               "You know, I always thought you were terrified of me. I also had this ridiculous notion you had  a crush on Luka."

                 "I was Luka's friend. I dated him for a few months, but it was not going to work out. I did not feel the same way about him as I do you."

                  I couldn't help but notice she said, "As I do you," which means she still loves me.

                 "Hmm, well, I wish I had known. I wouldn't have tried so hard to impress someone else."

                  "Kagami?"

                "I tried with her, but she wasn't quite right for me."

                  I could tell Marinette was a bit uncomfortable with the way the conversation had gone.  Great, she comes all this way, and already I feel like I must apologize to her.

                 "Marinette, it is nice to see you again."

                 "Good, it is nice to see you again, too, Adrien."

                  I put a hand on her cheek and noticed she did not pull away. I saw some cool whip there and rubbed it off with my finger. I licked my finger afterward and heard her gasp.

                  "Adrien, did you just sample the cool whip you got off my face?"

                  "Yes, I believe I did."

                 I heard her laughter. It made me happy years ago. It did the same now.

               "Marinette, other than my mother, you are the only one who has ever been able to make me laugh."

               I saw her raise an eyebrow in surprise. She smiled.  "I am glad, Adrien."

               I felt her grab my hand. I squeezed it. Somehow at that moment, I never wanted to let go.

        the story continues in Chapter 10

         until then, bye-bye, little owlets!

      Summer out!         

Chapter Published 7-30-2022 and Edited 5-2-2023