The First Quidditch Match

As October left and November arrived, the weather got colder. The mountains around the school got an icy gray and the lake was as chilled as a metal pole kids would dare each other to lick. Every morning the ground was covered in frost which Kate liked to sweep her foot over. Hagrid could be seen defrosting the brooms from the outside window every day, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The morning after Harry and Ron had fought the troll, Harry got a letter from Moony. Moony had found out about the troll and instantly sent a letter asking if he was ok and how much he was like his father. He had mention that if he wasn't so sick, he would come straight to the school to talk to him about how dangerous that was. He had also sent Harry an old photo from his third year. Moony was pouting at the camera with thick, curly pink hair. Harry's father was also in the photo smiling with his arms around Moony's and another boy's neck. The other boy's hair was a lime green and stuck up in every direction. He looked devastated. Harry had tried to ask Moony about the other boy in the picture, but he never answered.

The Quidditch season had also begun. On Saturday, Harry would have his first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. When Ron found out, he patted Harry on the back and told him as much as he cared for him, he still wanted Gryffindor to win.

Hardly anyone had seen Harry play since Flint wanted Harry to be a surprise and kept a secret. But one of the players told a friend who then told someone else and by the next two days everyone in the school knew. People were staring at him more and Harry didn't know what was worse – people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him holding a mattress.

It was really lucky that Harry had Draco and Hermione – who decided that Harry was now a friend after Halloween – as friends. They had help him get through homework when he got a last minute Quidditch practice. Hermione had also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be interesting.

He had learned that there were seven hundred ways to committing a Quidditch foul and that all of them had happened during a World Cup match in 1473; that Seekers were usually the smallest and fastest players, and that most serious Quidditch accidents seemed to happen to them.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking the rules after Harry and Ron saved her from the mountain troll and she was much nicer for it. The day before Harry's first Quidditch match, the three Slytherins and two Gryffindors were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione had conjured them a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were all huddling together with their backs to the fire when Professor Snape crossed the yard. Harry noticed that he was limping. Hermione and Ron moved closer to hide the fire from him.

"Hi, Daddy!" yelled Kate as she waved her hand at him. When he looked over, he frowned and quickly walked over.

"You are not wearing enough clothes for this weather," said Professor Snape. He glanced at Harry. "You too, Harry."

Ron and Hermione stared at him with wide eyes. With a wave of his wand, Professor Snape casted a warming charm of them. Harry felt his fingers tingle as the charm settled on the group. The black-haired male took another glance at the group before waving his wand again. The blue fire fluttered out as he put his wand back in his sleeve.

"Two points from Gryffindor for using magic outside of class."

"How come he didn't take away any points form Slytherin?" mumbled Hermione angrily as Professor Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

The next morning was cold and gray but the Great Hall was still full of chatter of the students looking forward to a good Quidditch game. Harry was sitting with the Slytherins, poking at his meal.