Chapter 3

◤                           ◥

"𝐀𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠"

« I'm not crying, you are. Elias and Chise are perfect together!! Their love story is just so adorable. Aren't they ɭเภ๔єɭ?  »

Are these.. My memories? Who's Elias and Chise? Who am I talking to?

Feeling more restless, I grip onto the bedpost with all my might as I once again place both my feet against the edge of the mattress. With a grunt I hoist myself up until I'm leaning very heavily against the bedpost.

Just.. make it to the wall. One step at a time.

I lifted my left foot, taking the first step forward. My leg was shaking from the sheer amount of force I was putting. I bit my lip subconsciously as I stared intensely at my foot. Finally, I managed to let it land with a soft thud. I made my first step!

Taking a deep breath, I now had to take a step with my right. However, that meant that I had to let go of the post with one hand. Half of my grip on the support system would be gone!!

You got this. You're doing great.

I kept repeating this phrase like a mantra in my head as I slowly let go of the post with my right hand.

Okay, good. My legs aren't trembling anymore.

Now, the final step. Reach the wall. The wall was only two feet away from my bed which meant I could lean against it once I took my second step.

Breathe.. You've got this.

Trembling, my right foot took a step forward. Sweat was beading down my face at this point.

Who knew walking was such a difficult task..? No wonder a baby's first step is so precious..

My foot landed with another soft thud on the wooden floor and now both my legs were trembling. Letting go of the post with my left hand, I was sure that I was going to at least make it to the wall. To my dismay, my ankles began to hurt like crazy from the relentless moving, forcing me to fall to my feet once again.

Damn! Why can't I do this? Seriously, this is so pathetic.

I was inwardly cursing to myself when I heard the light flapping of wings above me. Looking up, I spotted a white dove perched upon the window sill. Something about it looked so familiar. He looked down at me, almost as if he was peering into my soul.

Wait.. 'he'? How did I know it was a—

« Of course I can tell! Anson is very clearly a male and he's my familiar! »

Another memory flashed before my eyes the more I looked at the peculiar bird watching me from above.

"A-anson..?" I muttered in a low voice.

"Hello Emilie, so you do remember me."

Tears were brimming the corners of my eyes as I looked at the dove that spoke to me.

"I-I do.. You're my familiar!" I smile, recovering more memories from before the 'accident.'

"We made a contract many years—" I stopped myself. I couldn't seem to remember how many years ago or how long we'd known each other.

"It's alright, don't push yourself to remember so much. You've only recently woken up anyways," Anson reminded, "though, it seems you're already pushing yourself more than you've been told. I assume Lindel told you to rest up for more practice tomorrow? Yet, here you are working yourself until you're down on your knees."

I smiled guiltily at my familiar.

"So you do know my every emotion."

"Of course, what kind of familiar would I be if I couldn't? You're still as childish as ever."

"Annieeee.." I whined, laughing lightly at his teasing. It all felt so.. Natural.

"Your hair. It's a mess. When's the last time you've seen yourself in the mirror? Are you eating enough? Seriously, for a girl you're not very good at self care."

"Hey—"

"How long are you going to just sit there on the ground? Your posture is also off, you're slouching— a true couch potato."

I scoffed at his scolding yet playful remarks, once again remembering the annoying predicament I was in. I tried to stand up, forcing my legs to carry my weight— only to come tumbling down again. This happened for another 2 tries. The whole time, Anson just cocked his head watching me.

How does everyone do it.. I know my legs are jelly and all. Curse you Anson with you and your lucky claws—

My eyes widened at the realization. How could I have been so stupid? I didn't even try to use my toes as a support. I have feet for a reason.

Gritting my teeth, I placed my weight on the balls of my feet, pushing against my toes as support as I leaned my arm against the wall. Before I knew it, I was standing! Without the intense shaking of my legs!

Though it probably was impossible for most people to notice, I could see the slight upward tilt of Anson's bird head. A sign of approval.

Grinning cheekily, I couldn't help but feel my rehabilitation won't be as boring as I thought it would be.