Chapter 4

◤       ◥

"𝐀𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝"

"Emilie? Are you awake?~" a familiar cheerful voice rang.

"Yes, I just woke up."

That was a lie. I had been up since sunrise everyday working on my physical therapy when Lindel wasn't around. I didn't want to burden him (even if he says I am not) with being such a slow recoverer. It really has paid off because after two more weeks, I was able to walk from my bed to the window and back with little difficulty.

I told Lindel about Anson and how I remembered that he was my familiar. I could've sworn I saw a spark light up in his eyes after hearing the news. He seemed glad that my memories were being recovered overtime.

Laying in my bed, I sat up and pretended to get ready. Combing through my hair, washing my face at the sink, and making my bed were the usual morning tasks. I wanted to surprise Lindel one day by suddenly being able to walk just fine and be able to help him with whatever he does for his work. That was the game plan.

"Good morning love, breakfast will be ready soon. I'll bring it up to you," Lindel greeted.

I never understood why he insisted on calling me love, but eventually I got used to it. I just assumed that's what he called everyone.

"Hey Lindel, what if I walked with you downstairs so you didn't have to bring the food up to me everytime?" I suggested, standing up.

"Only if you're comfortable with that, but I really don't mind bringing you the food," he replied, "Are you sure you're ready?" He still looked slightly uncomfortable at the fact.

"Don't worry, I'm ready," I declared, "plus I have you don't I? I know you'd never let me fall."

Lindel's expression showed surprise from my bold declaration, slowly displaying a small smile on his face.

"Of course, we wouldn't want a repeat from before now would we?" He said teasingly.

He looked smugly at me as I remembered the first time I tried to run out of the room— only to land in his arms. The distance between us was so close as I stared into his cerulean eyes—

"R-right..!" I chirped, embarrassment written all over my face.

Gosh what's up with me. This is so cliche, falling into his arms. Really, Emilie?

"Here, I'll give you a tour of the place," he said, holding his hand out to me. I smiled and nodded, accepting his hand as he led me out the door.

I could've sworn I felt a small and barely noticeable shock go through my hand the moment I touched his. It felt similar to when Lindel caught me, but I barely noticed it then because I was too focused on wanting to go outside. My hand felt ever so little warmer. I tried to see if he felt it as well, but he was looking away from me the whole time.