Chapter 9

◤      					◥

  ◤      

"𝐎𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤"

◣      

"Welcome to London! It's a busy and very crowded place," Stella proclaimed, running out of the train.

She was right, there were so many people walking down the street. The two of them led me to this little shop along the side of the street. When we walked in, I was immediately hit with the smell of cinnamon and coal. Weird combination..

Yet somehow this smells familiar.

"Angelica!" Chise shouted, walking in. Soon enough, another door opened to reveal a tall but lean woman. She had dark purple eyes that matched the dark purple hair that was braided to her side.

"Who here needs my attention?—" she playfully teased until she spotted me. She instantly froze, dropping the crystal in her hand. Luckily, Stella was close enough to catch it before it shattered.

"Oh my.. Solaris darling, you're awake!"

It took me a second to process that she was talking about me, but I realized it was the same name that the voice had called me in my dream.

"Hi! Yes, I am.. Angelica was it?"

Her expression dropped slightly, as if she couldn't tell if I was being serious about not knowing who she was.

"Angie, she hasn't recovered all of her memories since the incident. It might be best to catch her up. We're here to see if we can recover some of her memories since you both spent lots of time together," Chise explained.

"Oh I see, this is the situation? I'm disappointed that neither Lindel nor Ainsworth told me about your awakening. Seriously!! What is with men these days," Angelica scoffed, motioning us into her work station, "Truthfully it does sting that you don't remember me Emilie. But, I'm relieved that you're alive and well."

"So am I," I replied, smiling wryly.

"Hey darling, what's your name?" Angie asked Stella to which she responded with her name.

"That's such a lovely name, say, my daughter is upstairs and she's been wanting a playmate for a while now. Would you like to meet her? She's about the same age as you."

"Sure! I'd love to be her playmate!" Stella smiled, running up the steps to meet Angelica's daughter.

« "We're besties, Angie! I'll never forget you!"

"I'm counting on that! Or else I'll come back and make sure you do!"

"I'll be excited to see what crystallization sculptures you can make."

"For sure! Remember not to push yourself Solaris, you've got many admirers you know!"  »

"Okay, now we can get down to business."

I blinked at the sudden memory, blankly following Angie through the hall.

Chise went over to pet some of the floating animals in the corner of the room while I sat down at a chair near her work table.

"Right well, let's see. Do you remember anything about your powers?"

"My powers?"

"Yes, didn't Lindel tell you about your status?"

I subconsciously lifted my index finger to my chin,"That I was a fairy mage, bestowed with the title 'Princess of the Stars'. And that I apparently can control minds?"

"Phew. At least he told you that much," Angie sighed, "Yes, you are gifted with the ability to control others' minds. However, not only that, but you are also able to see and feel their memories. For better and for worse."

"For better and for worse?" I mimicked.

"While it may be nice to relive others' best moments, the same cannot be said when you're trying to help them overcome an intense physical or mental struggle. You basically carry the burden with you until they eventually find their way."

"Is being able to tell what others are feeling also part of this 'power'?" I asked.

"Hm? Oh no, that is just your natural ability. I've always been scared of it to be honest," she laughed, running her hand through her hair, "gosh you'd always ask why I was sad or overly excited. Nothing got past your sense of observation."

I bit my tongue at that statement. It really seemed like we were close and everything about her screamed familiarity but... I could just really not remember much. Just that little snippet of a memory.

"We were best friends.. Weren't we?" I finally whispered, looking Angelica straight in the eyes. Her once cheerful facade faded slightly, as she raised a hand to the back of her head.

"We still are, I made a promise that day. We're going to recover your memories, Emilie."

I couldn't help but feel a tinge of regret for barely being able to remember her, but she immediately brought my attention to my hands.

"Since your magic focuses on mind control, you need to be in contact with another person," she quickly placed her hands in mind, "close your eyes and just try to imagine the flow of energy from you to me."