Chapter 7: It's Time

"You look absolutely stunning. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen." Bucky said with a smile.

Cara turned fully dressed in her wedding dress, heels and veil, her hair, make up and nails done as well. Clutched in her arms was a groggy Jackson, still sleepy from his small procedure with Tony that morning. Bucky stood leaning against the containment cell glass, his one eye black and blue, a butterfly bandage across the bridge of his nose keeping a cut closed. His actions just the day before had caused a good number of them to be concerned with him, especially given the event happening today. Cara, had insisted on seeing him before the ceremony, much to Steve's protest, as he himself refused to see him until they were back from their honeymoon. Then, he said, they would sort all of this out. But she wasn't here for compliments.

"Do you really think that's a great thing to say after all the trouble you've caused Buck?" Cara asked with a warning tone.

"It's the truth doll. I told you I'd never lie to you. Plus, I couldn't help it. You took my breath away when you walked into the room." Bucky said smiling.

"You think it looks okay? Do you think Steve will love it? I tried to go with a fashionable 40's style for him but I wasn't sure it looked good on me." Cara said nervously fiddling with the skirt of the dress.

"Don't worry, he'll love it," Bucky said annoyed "plus how could he not love it when you're the one walking down the isle in it."

Cara frowned walking closer to the glass with Jackson. Bucky had one of his usual scowls on his face, softening only when he looked at Cara before looking down at his son. Noticing the arm he looked up at Cara suddenly in surprise.

"Wait, he had his first procedure and you didn't tell me or let me be there??" Bucky said in one breath.

"Tony did it this morning. I'm so sorry. He thought that given the special day, he wanted something special for Jackson too. And with everything that happened yesterday, they thought it best you stayed in here until the day was over and Steve and I were gone." Cara said blushing.

Looking heart broken, Bucky took his hands off of the glass, nodding, and began pacing the room, his back turned on her. She felt immensely sad in this single moment. Here she was standing in her wedding dress, all dolled up, their son in hand, and he was locked up in a cage pacing like a trapped animal, wounded by not only his own actions but hers as well. Feeling the time she had before she needed to get back up to the ceremony slipping away, she became anxious.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I should have told you before it happened." Cara said.

"You're damn right you should have! He's my son too Cara!" Bucky  turned yelling angrily causing her to jump.

Feeling the tears start to sting her eyes she quickly blinked them away starting to back away from the containment cell.

"I- I shouldn't have come. I'm sorry, I should go." Cara said regretfully.

"No wait, shit, Cara I'm sorry! Please don't go yet please." Bucky said walking back to the glass.

"I need to go, the ceremony is going to start soon." Cara said avoiding his gaze.

Sensing her emotions, knowing where her head was at, Bucky sighed heavily.

"You didn't fuck up, I'm the one who fucked up Cara. I just love you so god damn much that it hurts sometimes! And yesterday, when I saw the space and I pictured you marrying him while I just stood by smiling- I lost it. I let my emotions take over and I'm sorry." He said sadly but sincerely.

"I know. Thank you, and I'm sorry that the world seems like it's been turned upside down right now. But I promise even though I'm marrying Steve, you haven't lost me. We both still are this wonderful little boy's parents." Cara said.