Chapter II: Rise of the Descendant

Years after, the elders reluctantly decided against informing the Winterborn village of the coming of the new descendant. As the years went on, the elders kept their eyes peeled for whom it could possibly have been. Elder Barry was one of the last remaining elders of that time period, but suffered from the voiceless curse- a disease common among the elderly. As new elders joined the council, eventually all the former elders familiar with the coming of the descendant fell victim to old age. Twenty years later, Barry remained the last of the remaining council members of the time period. However, the oath that he swore forbid himself from spreading the information to new elders, as well as speaking of the coming of the descendant to the people of the village. For if word were to spread in the village, it would soon make its way outside of the village, and outside Highgarden. Their village would be defenseless, and an invasion would be inevitable. War doesn't take to kindly to threatening powers forming elsewhere. To have word spread of the coming of a powerful entity would be vastly feared; not only by the remaining worldly powers, but also by the constant threat of having those worldly powers find the location of where the entity would slumber. In a way, Barry's voicelessness was beneficial. The elders almost embrace it. Yet, he still grew closer to the day he left the world, and grew slowly and slowly more ale. In his old age, he finds the world to be changing... but, whether or not it is in the favor of the newly born Demi-God is not for him to decide. Regardless, the question remained... who was the descendant?

Elder Barry's grandson could be an option. The boy takes good care of himself and his grandfather. He is only 15 in age, yet makes a remarkable impression on the people of the village. His name is Royland Winterborn. The boy has not only learned how to cook proper meals for himself, but also treats his grandfather like royalty. Maybe one day, if he isn't the descendant, he could very well be an elder. But as Barry lays in his bed at night with a dimly lit candle just barely burning, he grows tired.

Barry slowly finds himself drifting off into a deep slumber... the darkness in the room made it easier to sleep, as if not a worry in the world. He figured that... if he could, he would remain the way he is right now forever. Peacefully distant from the world around him, drifting into a deep slumber never to see the light again. This isn't a reality he could deny, and if he so chose, maybe he could sleep forever...

He chose to sleep forever.

Royland, the grandson, was left alone in the village. Barry was his prime care taker, and never really met his true parents. As a matter in fact, Royland was adopted. Those who are devoted to the elder council are not allowed to have children, but Elder Barry found Royland as a baby left alone in the wilderness, surrounded by Snow Lions 6 years after the descendant was said to have risen. Royland was not 21 years old, at least, to his knowledge.

The snow lions treated Royland like their own son, and elder Barry didn't approve of their methods. Having lions raise an elven baby? Now, that was just silly. He was living off of the meat their parents provided him. Eventually, Royland grew to be 3 years of age when the snow lions abandoned Royland. Elder Barry figured that it may have been due to the snow lions letting their cubs go around the same age, but after the Snow Lion mother left home one day, she was never seen again. Royland was left alone in the woods with a deer leg in his possession. The only option Elder Barry had was to bargain with Royland and get him to assimilate into civilized culture. After many years of keeping tabs on the golden haired child, Barry took the toddler into his possession, and raised the boy as if it were his own. From the very beginning, he raised Royland to become one of the Winterborn tribesmen, and in return, he used his knowledge of Lions to fight off those who threaten to invade the village, as if it were his territory. Despite taking a long time for Royland to learn English, he is said to be able to speak to animals; specifically larger cats. Everyone really admired Royland, and eventually he began working the forge at the age of 9. While the elders didn't really enjoy him working the forge due to their strict beliefs against warfare, elder Barry convinced the rest of them to reason with the boys desires of discipline. A year later, Barry suffered the voiceless curse. He just so happened to be the final elder of 20 years of guarded knowledge that only he and others who have left the world guarded.

One day, when Royland was 7 years old, Elder Barry said something strange. He told Roy that, "if the day were to arise that he would sacrifice his life for the people of the world, your people will stand behind you, as a hero or even a God". The council often found themselves to be somewhat fond of the seven deities; it was only natural to speak of God, but not so much to call another mortal a God... Could it have subtle meaning that was intended to be taken in a differing context?

Now that Elder Barry is gone, Royland keeps watch over his den. At night, he still sleeps in his tiny hay bed. While Barry's room has a cotton bed, Royland prefers hay. The room is filled with little tidbits he obtained over the 12 years he's been with the elders. One such tidbit was a painting he received of his mother- she was a beautiful white lion. Her mane was stunningly long, but abnormal for a female lion... Whoever painted the picture likely did not understand the differences between male and female lions. However, none the less, he is more than happy to have a neat little photo of his mom. As he picked it up, he noticed a small engraving on the back... it had initials on it. E. B. Elder Barry. It was him who painted this all along...

Suddenly, the door swings open, startling Royland who drops the frames painting.

Elder Kaz: Oh, I am sorry, Royland. Did I startle you? Please forgive me... I just wanted to check on you and see how everything is going...

Royland looks down at the broken painting, and back up at Kaz, shrugging.

Elder Kaz: Forgive me. I will be heading to the market. Is there anything I can get you?

Royland: Steak, raw.

Elder Kaz: S-Steak..? But, the way of the elders is strictly vegetarian... What about cheese? Cheese has protein and it comes from the same animal, Royland.

Royland: Cheese is fine too, I guess. But, Barry used to get me steak.

Elder Kaz: What type of cheese do you want?

Royland: Uh, surprise me.

Elder Kaz: Very well. I will be back soon. Make sure to not leave the house, the other elders will be here in a half hour so...

Royland *Nodding*: Very well.

Kaz leaves the house, and Royland lays down in his hay bed. Turning over, he begins to shed a single tear... which quickly turns into him full on sobbing. Where did these emotions come from so suddenly? Someone is burning onions...

No wait, is that smoke? Royland quickly got up, and poked his head out the window to see the entire village on fire. This was an invasion like no other he had seen, but he knew it was his turn to repay the people of the village.