Chapter XVII - Reverie

Was it true what they said? The voices echoed in Roy's world, and suddenly the candles turned blue. No... wait, it was not the candles. Royland awoke from a slumber in that strange world once again. Versutus was no where to be found, however the dimness of the mushrooms guided him down a narrow forest. As he followed the path illuminated by the surrounding mushrooms, all Royland could think of was the absence of his friends. Locating them seems difficult, but suddenly a sharp feeling of tranquillity radiated. All his worries flew away, as if clouds in the sky.... Suddenly, those clouds shrouded the area in a sudden darkness. Royland stood balanced, drawing his blade from his holster- it was no Versutus.

It's eyes glow red, but it's body faded, slicking it's scythe out of socket, preparing to slash its foes down with a waking blow. Royland stood his ground, preparing to use his newly forged powers to defend himself. Though he is well aware that he is in a dream realm, he felt fear of his life's end flashing before his very eyes.

It was him or them.

Roylands sword clashed as he thrusted his hole body forward, as if his sword were an extension of himself. But it wasn't enough. As the weird entity's force triumphed, causing Royland to collapse backwards. The creature raised their mighty scythe, and created an ear piercing screech as Royland stabbed the creature in the gut. It was not enough for the creature to die, however the entity fell on the dirt floor. Royland jumped back up in his feet, preparing to battle the entity until death. Suddenly, the entity became fully visible to Roy. There he was... Nobunaga , the great conquerer, bracing Roy's presence once again. Surrounding Roy were flames towering over the two of them, all the mushrooms suddenly burnt up, and those outside the flames were not visible. A wall of flames imprisoned the two warriors. Royland, ignorant to the true identity prior to his reveal, now shook vigorously. Yet, he stood tall. Nobunaga's face was shrouded in a black mask, blue rims, and he wielded a cobalt saber unlike anything anyone could ever forge. Years of blacksmithing apprenticeships could barely be capable of creating such a large, sturdy, shame and shiny blade, clear to the naked eye from a vast distance. It's gleam radiated, even the glare radiated with poison, something that made Roy sick to his stomach. The atmosphere around Roy felt nauseating, hot, and uncomfortable. We were progressing... Royland's vision was impaired, but stood his ground.

Nobu: Roy, you disappoint me. I took you as an innovator, but now I see you are nothing but a pathetic worm of a human.

Roy: ...

Nobu: The world will progress due or die, stopping me isn't going to stop the future. You know this as well as I do. And what harm comes from the harvesting of souls through a passive destructive process?

Roy: What the hell are you even saying?

Nobu: Oh, Royland. How long has it been since we last met? Even before Salstrom, we were kiin. What ever happened to a warm welcoming?

Roy: I don't know who the hell you are?!

Nobu: Remember me, brother? Hello, once again. However, I can see you're still mad at me.

Roy: Nobu, you aren't my brother! The descendant does not have a brother, does he not?

Nobu: Oh, how naive of you to use that name. Descendant, I am not Nobunaga. I am much like you; the one true opposite of yourself. You never told me how much the life of mortals was fun, did you now? No... I am the one you refer to as "The Anti-Descendant". You tried, Roy. You really did, but sadly, Julius, you did not even take into consideration that despite ridding the heavens of myself, I still listen to you. As they say, use your enemies words against them. Fight fire with fire, if you will. They call me Molag, and you Julius. But that doesn't stop me from listening to the exact recipe for how you split yourself into two forms.

Nobu-Molag draws his blade.

Nobu-Molag: I'm not one for small talk. What says you we settle this?

Royland shakes in fear, collapsing his posture in a lack of preparation for what's to come. Though, a voice rang in Roy's head. Versutus...

Versutus: Fear not, Royland. Use your power.

Royland: It's weakened, though.

Versutus: So is Molag, Roy. It's your head, your anxiety manifesting itself. Don't give him the power.

Royland stopped shaking, sitting himself on the ground around him. His two friends came to his aid as backup. Royland closed his eyes, and began breathing. In and out, in and out again, he suddenly grew level headed. A tight knot in his chest untangle itself.

Nobu-Molag: What the HELL are you doing?

The manifestations of his friends glowed brightly, and we're absorbed into Royland as he calmly stood up. He was prepared, now.

Molag charged Royland, thrusting his blade towards Royland. Though Royland was able to deflect every blow as if he could see each move his opponent tossed at him.

Molag's onslaught was unsuccessful, to which Royland retaliated with a waking slash. The force was so powerful that Royland smashed Molag through a fiery Rock, to which he got up and plunged himself towards Royland. Roy, dodging, used his guardiant and forged an earthly fissure. Molag jumped across the fissure, and tried to evade all of the sudden spikes of ground appearing from the fissure. However he was not agile enough, as a rock collided with his body, throwing him backwards. As he landed head first onto the ground, Royland welcomed the fiend with an earthly spike, clashing through his skull. The entity dissolved into thin air, as if he were nothing but a figment of stress the entire time.

Perhaps that were the point, as the fiery wall collapsed and Versutus appeared atop a mushroom, slowly clapping for Royland's victory.

Versutus have a nod of approval, and propelled himself away. Royland fell backwards into reality once again, and awoke in a dimly lit room. Two Calico wardens towered over him, causing him to be rather startled. They opened the shades, and played a morning orchestra to welcome Roy.

One of the wardens spoke

Warden: Good morning, my lord.

They provided a red carpet for Roy to rise himself up onto, and prepared him slippers and a robe, while simultaneously cleaning him up. Royland was shook, but accepted the treatment assuming it to be nothing more than hospitality.... Or perhaps he were still asleep.