Chapter XIII: Caravan

As they trotted away, Royland turned back to the forest. Merely a glimpse past his shoulder, he could swear that the fire had extinguished. Though he did not wish to stick around and find out whether or not he were imagining things, thus continued down the road.

The road ahead looked far, though darkness shrouded a future ahead. Wherever life takes them was not up to them at this point.

Many moons passed since they began their journey into the woods, which turned into a field of dust. Roylands warm clothing made it impossible to stay cool, though his friends looked fine.

The open fields were filled with wheat up to their shoulders, but being on horse back made them stand out more. It would appear that Roy has traveled further than any other in his tribe has ever traveled before, to his knowledge at least.

After what felt like a month of traveling, they reached a cross road.

Brandulf: It's about time we made it out of Cobaltica! I can finally breathe and sleep in a bed!

Prim: Not so fast. I think that we need to find a near by town first. What region are we in, anyways?

Brandulf: Judging by the weather and the landscape, I would have to say that we have made it to Calicostan!

Roy: Calicostan?

Brandulf: Correct! It's a region in the far South East of where we met. To think that we finally made it somewhere safe...

Prim: Calicostan? Safe? Never thought I'd hear those two words in a sentence...

Brandulf: Pardon?

Prim: Bran, you don't know? This was also captured by the Cobaltic empire. We are still in Cobaltica!

Brandulf: NOOOOO! I guess I have to brush up on my current events...

Prim: Also, it is ALL desert, Bran. Giant scorpions are NOT pretty! Even before the invasion. If I had to guess, the only safe city is the capital. I am sorry to say that has fallen.

Brandulf: Oh come ON! Now I got to wait even longer to find a soft bed?

Prim: I'm afraid so. But we can set up camp in the desert. It may be softer than sleeping on the ground in the woods.

Brandulf: Fine by me. Better than nothing.

Royland: It's getting late. Why don't we set up camp here?

Brandulf: Good idea.

As night approached, and the desert sun had set, little blades of grass were the only source of comfort. Food was sparse, but the desert was only going to be far more grueling as they continued down the road. Royland lay upwards, facing towards the stars. As the lingering smoke from the fire rises, his eye lids grew heavy. All he could think of was where was he to go now? The path ahead seemed impossible to decipher from where he lay. Weirdly, he found himself cold, but his team took his wool clothing for the night, and despite it being frigid in the night, he were no less cooler than he would be growing up in the far north. The nights he would sleep outside in the tundra were among the best nights of sleep he would ever have, as the cold weather were said to lower his blood flow. Though he could only do so in the warmer months, this was the perfect weather. Roy's lids exceeded his strength, and slowly drifted off into a tranquil slumber.

A muffled voice forgo the revitalized Royland. There his friends were, collected but relatively nervous. Rubbing his eyes, it was clear to him that he weren't dreaming... all their stuff had been taken. Not a single bread remain. Bandits.

Prim: Its about time you're awake.

Brandulf: See what you missed?

Roy: Our stuff is gone?