Chapter IV: Tales of Katonia

Almost a year had gone by since Lapis was banished from her homeland of Calicostan in the Kattonian Empire. Though, things weren't as black and white as they seem- 'banished', felt relatively untruthful.

The day was just like any ordinary day. As Lapis glared out from her tower, she was surrounded by the barren sea of course and colorless sand. Clouds barely gathered in the distance, often signaling that a storm brews. Though, it would be naive to think that a storm would be a possibility. Lapis couldn't remember the last time there was even a drop of rain. Somehow, the Oasis her city was build around was still filled with iridescent water that the suns sharp rays reflected off of, as if it were an arrow attempting to pierce through a metallic shield. It found itself blinding Lapis' pupils, so she adjusted her shades.

It was about three weeks since a Raven wielding a vision approached the Queen beckoning numerous forces defend the borders of the desert. Lapis was left isolated in her chambers whilst her father prepare defenses alongside the walls of the city. She couldn't stand it; first, her mom leaves, and now, her father tells her to remain in her chambers. It was almost as if she had done something wrong... The suspense killed her, and the city seemed quiet. All the city folk seem to be quiet, and nothing but the sound of subtle gusts of wind carrying dust could be heard throughout the city. On occasion, some of the warlords, who were predominantly female, were caught gossiping, only for the general to scold their petty lazy behavior. One day, Lapis would be much like her mother; a strong and fearsome Katton.

In Calicostan, Woman hold stronger positions over males. Often, Calicostonians fought with with dual cutlasses, of which, they were given as soon as they left the mothers womb- so it felt. Lapis was constantly required to carry her cutlasses with her at all times, even when she was alone in isolation.

There was a loud banging on the door, which made Lapis jump back. The door swung open, revealing the King (Lapis' father) and a few female guards, who looked somewhat concerned for Lapis' safety. Among the female guards, there also happened to be a male guard...

King: oh- Sorry, princess. Did I startle you?

Lapis: You surprised me is all.

King, concerned: Lapis, the queen isn't coming back. She fell in a battle against the Cobaltic Empire.

Lapis: Mom's gone...?

King: Listen to me. Your mom... she may not have always been the best mother, and she may not have always been around much, but she did everything in her power to give you the best possible life. You meant everything to your mother, and even if she isn't around, I know that she will guide you. Please know that... please know that to keep you safe, we take actions in your best interest. To prepare you for the world as a queen and as a warrior, but most importantly, you must carry on your lineage. Your safety was among the most important things to your mother, and neither you nor I want to let you down. That is why... I need to banish you. You have until sunset to gather all of your belongings. Aegon is a knight from the capital, the emperor sent him to protect you on your way to Nyanmar. It is going to be a really long journey, so your safety is among the biggest priority.

Lapis: You are... banishing me...? But why? What did I do? I don't understand! I don't understand!

Aegon: Now now, princess. You must understand... (He bends down to her, caresses her whiskers)

Lapis smacks his paws away, and runs past her father and out of the palace. The sun began to set as she ran downwards and outside of the city, with nothing to her name but the clothes she wears. Aegon seemed to be following her, but she was able to slip underneath the sewers thanks to her small stature.

As she crawled through the tunnel, she began to hear loud banging sounds... rubble began to topple onto her head, which made her crawl faster through the narrow tunnel. Eventually, she found herself in some sort of secret passage beneath the city. It was pitch black, but there was a dim light further in the tunnel. She's weary as to if it were a bandit. Refusing to take any chances, Lapis withdrew her blades in preparation for what was to come. Nothing but the sound of creaking above her from the buildings shaking could be heard, and the light appeared to be closer as she snuck along the sewer walls... Suddenly, the light began to grow and grow, and eventually she could see dark blue armor; she was ready to fight off whoever it could be... Out of no where, a large sandstone rock fell on the blue armored individuals head, and he dropped the torch. Lapis found that to be awfully convenient.

Picking the torch up, Lapis continued down the tunnel and eventually found a small latter leading to a hatch. As she poked her head out, she realized how far down the tunnel she walked. For miles, she could only see mounts of dunes. The faintest smell of char could be picked up as she turned her head around, seeing where she came from. Her city of Calicostan, what was once a glorious oasis utopia towering into the clouds, now reduced to nothing more than rubble.

She swore revenge.