Chapter III: The Tides Change

The sound of the crashing tides reawaken the fallen soldier on the beach. Wait, was he at a beach, or was he unable to feel the sharp pain of the snow on his bare skin? Perhaps, he drifted off into a deep slumber, never to awake again. As reality began to sink in, Royland realized that he'd been out for some time, and turning back, he noticed the village was still on fire- it was no dream, but rather, it seems as if a shattered piece of wood struck him on the head. This was evident by the large chunk of burning wood to the left of him. Where were the elders? It is vital that they stay safe.

Though the thought crossed his mind; who could possibly be attacking the village with such vigor and strength? It was if the sky were raining flaming shards of glass, unlike anything Royland had ever seen before. But by far, the strangest aspect of this whole ordeal is who would attack them? The Winterborn-folk have consistently been peaceful, and all of the sudden, a power far beyond Royland's, let alone, the entire villages control finally decides to up and invade... Roy always knew that one day, the world would innovate until their tribe was no longer in complete isolation. Reality seems to have a funny way of inching its way to claw at Roy's heart, as if it weren't already chopped in half and in half again... he had already lost enough of the people he loved, and refuses to watch as his people are obliterated.

Royland forced himself to stand up against his will, and slowly rose up from his snowy grave. Cleaning himself off, he inches his way through the village. All of the villagers screams could probably be heard throughout the snowy wasteland... These people, he once called his family, now fallen and fade away, as their bodies are turning into ash and soot. Neighbors Royland once knew are nothing more than bones and ash. He can barely recognize the bodies around him, nor can he distinguish the differences between the ashy remains of his fallen family and what was left of the now rubbled up town-huts. Those who were alive wouldn't be for long, and ran around with their hair blazing, until they, too, were consumed in the fiery warfare.

Someone fell out of a building, and Royland was startled. Jumping back, he found himself on the floor, yet again. The person who leaped seemed to be holding a steel blade. Could this be true warfare? Everything around Royland seemed to spin, and his mind began to take control of his movement. Sharp pains struck from his head, through his chest, into his arms, and down to his legs. Tiny pricks of pins and needles covered the surface of his skin. It finally struck Royland... he wasn't going to win this battle. There was no choice, it was him or his people.

Royland stood, headstrong as ever, as an onslaught of arrows rained overhead... bracing himself for what was to come, slowly drawing what looked like a long blade. Could this be the end? Royland knew what was about to come... But determined, he remained strong... ready to go down alongside his fallen brothers and sisters.

As the arrows inched closer, it felt like a decade of his life flashed before his eyes... he could see it now; life in Elysium with the white asphalt cliffs towering over pillars of marble, and the warm spring air gently lifts Roy by the nose. Refreshed by the warmth of the bathing water, and the soothing sounds of the waterfalls flowing into the rivers beneath the caverns. Toasted Rye filled his belly served alongside a refreshing iced cucumber tea and salted vanilla wafers, freshly baked to perfection. Alongside Royland, he could see Elder Barry...

Elder Barry: Elysium welcomes you.

It was almost as if he were hearing Elder Barry's voice for the first time. Prior to Barry's passing, the Elder suffered from the voiceless curse, halting any speech he would typically have been able to perform. It comes through old age, but... it was strange to see the man he spent so much of his life around speak for what felt like the first time.

Barry: Or shall I say, it *will* welcome you... Thankfully, today isn't the day. You have a destiny to uphold as the descendant.

Royland: Descendant...? I remember the elders talking of the coming of the descendant. Is that what I am?